X-ray shows wear and tear on cervical spine and shoulder

Posted , 3 users are following.

Lots of pain mainly referred for past 3 months. GP has just precribed painkillers.

Had to fight to get an x-ray - now they've prescibed gabapentin too. Refused ro refer me for MRI - treatment guidelines are the same so pointless they say.

Welcome to the NHS in the UK!

Considering paying myself for referral.

Been seeing chiropractor for few months. Not sure if it helps. X-ray apparently shows everything in right place so not sure where this leaves chiro treatment?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

You should persist with having mri and pester gp as mri is far more thorough and shows alot more . I have a similar problem .cervical spine pain which goes to shoulder and most of the neck .pain and discomfort is awful . My gp has already put me on gabbatentin and tramodol and a inflammatory cream . Nothing helps except for cream . But I have a electronic heat pad that helps. My gp has referred me for an mri straight away so please insist . Hope your OK
    • Posted

Ray your in the UK too?

GP says because I have no muscle wastage or significant loss of movement then treatment guidelines dictate an MRI is unnecessary.

• Posted

That's nonsense from your gp paul . You can have a mri . I've had one on lower back and now my gp has ordered one on cervical spine and thorac spine too . Not sure how it's spelt . But you need to make a noise about your pain and let gp know you won't except what he said

• Posted

Hi Ray - GP made me do all sorts of tests, moving my arms etc.

Said there was no muscle wastage or significant loss of movement.

I think I'll hassle again to be honest.....

• Posted

Can I ask what your symptoms are and have you had an accident or injury?

An X-ray won't show what an MRI will so I would push until you get one, see a different doctor if you have to, I know the NHS is stretched but my GP goes above and beyond so there is resources there you just have to shout a little louder.

if your chiro is not helping then go seek another, it may not be the treatment but the chiro himself, Iv been seeing mine for 5 years and I know if it wasn't for him I would be wheel chair bound, I'm not good but I would be a whole lot worse. My previous chiro done more damage than good which made me really reluctant to see another but I'm glad I did.

Let me know how you get on and don't give up 😊

• Posted

Pain in shoulder/arm mainly. Was loss of movement but thats better now.

No accident or injury.

To be honest, chiro does seem quite good but maybe Im just too impatient. :-)

Thing is I understand GPs have to stick to guidelines. No amount of nagging from a patient will change that.

• Posted

Hi caroline what pain are you suffering from if you don't mind me asking and how long have you had it

• Posted

I totally understand but being patient could be key, my husband had a car accident and seen my chiro for 2 years, it's seemed like he was never going to get better but he's back to work and no operations so it's all good😊

• Posted

Hi ray, I had l4/5 fusion 14 years ago with chronic pain from the onset which I thought was normal and would get better with time, sadly not the case, I found out 7 years later I had a thoracic arachnoid cyst with compression of my spinal cord which can't be removed as it will leave me paralysed or even death, this causes chronic rhomboid and trapezius muscle spasms, I also have cervical degeneration with multi level disc bulges and bones spurs and lordosis all of which are a result of the fusion but they failed to tell me this and made it sound like the best option and a good idea at the time.

I have chronic pain 24/7 at level 7-10 daily, Iv done withdrawal from opioids 4 times and refuse to take anymore so unfortunately until there's a cure I'm suffering just a bit, my lower back has become unstable about 7 weeks ago so I'm struggling with the basic right now, off to see Neuro on Thursday after a recent emergency MRI so we'll see what happens next, hope your good 😊

• Posted

So sorry to hear about all the suffering and pain you've had. It must be a challenge every day to cope with the discomfort and I admire how strong you must be. I will certainly try to cope the way you have. I have my mri for the cervical and thoracic spine on 23rd of this month so will find out what's going on after that .

• Posted

I hope you get some answers, MRIs don't always show up what's going on which is so frustrating as you know better than anyone that Something's not right.

Just a thought but try magnesium,calcium and Zini, vit d3, b12. Iv been taking them since January and it has made a difference to muscle fatigue and chronic fatigue, it's quite easy to think all these pains are from the same thing, if only I could find a supplement for my lower back pain 😂, also turmeric for inflammation.

I do struggle everyday mentally as well as physically, I'm not sure I would call myself strong because given a choice I would run a mile in a heart beat.

Good luck with your MRI and let me know how it goes, if I can help with anything just let me know I will try my best😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.