Xalatan eye drops

Posted , 3 users are following.

There has been an increase in the number of reports of severe eye irritation in patients using reformulated Xalatan eye drops. The MHRA has issued advice to report promptly (within a week) if patients experience eye irritation (e.g. excessive watering) severe enough to make them consider stopping treatment. Prescribers should consider a different formulation if necessary.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Thanks for this.

Have you had some personal experience of this eye drop?

I'm asking because any eyedrop that induces "excessive watering" could be just what I need – though obviously not something that makes the eyes water because it burns! I suffer from extreme dry eyes.

What is this eye drop diagnosed for and what is your own experience with it?

• Posted

It is precribed for raised intra-ocular pressure in open-angle glaucoma; ocular hypertension.
    • Posted

Thanks.  Have you used it yourself?

Is it available in the UK?

• Posted

Xalatan is certainly NOT for dry eyes and is only available with a prescription for raised pressure within the eye ie glaucoma. If you have severe dry eyes are you seeing an ophthalmologist?  What are you using at the moment? Have you seen your GP about the problem?
    • Posted

Not for dry eyes. I was prescribed it for raised pressure.
    • Posted

Yes, thanks... I did get the point that it is not prescribed for dry eyes. I was being a bit corner-cutting perhaps.

I am up to my neck in prescriptions and treatment and have been for two years. A slew of drops that didn't work, finally settled on three without preservative.

My UK ophth said I need to take drops every two hours! Lordy lord...

Thanks for your concern.

• Posted

Hallo derek,

I have side-recession glaucoma in my left eye due to a sport trauma injury.

My previous prescription was Xalatan until my doctor changed it to a generic form called Latanoprost.

I have had no problems with either eye drops but what it has done is make my iris darker.

Fortunately I have brown eyes so it isn't too noticeable. 

• Posted

I noticed that in the patient information leaflet. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.