Xanax 250 microgrames and Alcohol

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi There,

I am currently on propranonol 30mg twice a day. I suffer with bad anxiety and have used substance abuse for years, i feel i have more control of alcohol now and tests results are now normalised.

However my anxiety is still severe.

I do not take benzos, but wanted to be prescibed them for anxiety over the last two years. I am ok though with not having any and sticking to propranonol.

Basically I have managed to get some xanax just incase of emergancies of bad anxiety attacks etc, i would only take 1, not 3 during a day and would only be a once off which i had discussed with doctors about,

However i am going on holiday soon, very anxious about it, and it would be a trip with family to scatter my aunts ashes, so it would be an emotional trip. i also dont like travelling.

If worse comes to worse i may take a xanax. Saying this i know that family would want a couple of drinks during the evenings when we are away.

I do currently drink alcohol dilluted to relax, calm down abit etc.

I was just wondering would it be harmful if i took a xanax on the day/ morning for example of going on holiday? waited a couple hours, and later in the evening drinks with family? the dosage is low of xanax and i would only take a one off just to get me out and be able to travel? even if i had to split it in half just to make it safer would it be ok?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Firstly, I'm sorry you are having troubles with anxiety. I know from personal experience how debilitating it can be.

It is never recommended to mix Xanex with alcohol as benzos are suppressants like alcohol is. mixing them can also increase the serum alcohol level, effectively making alcohol more powerful.

The guidelines say that Xanex has a half life between 6 & 30 hours, with the average being 11 hours, so I would not recommend the mixing, though of course, the decision is yours.

Also, as you have a history with substance misuse, I would not advise ANY benzos. They are very addictive and by the time you realise you are addicted its too late. Withdrawal from benzos is severe and takes a fair amount of time before you feel better. benzos can also make anxiety worse over time and should only be used very sparingly in the short term

I would highly recommend that you look for a more holistic approach for your anxiety.

Therapy would be the best thing. If you have specific 'trauma' that causes or exaserbates your anxiety, then I would recommend EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing. EMDR yields quick results and doesnt require long term treatment, it can infact be completed in as little as 1-2 sessions

also some herbal remedies to help relieve anxiety are worth looking at as well.

I know how easy it is to just take a xanex and force the anxiety into submission but in the long term it will do you no favors. learning to adapt to living with anxiety or seeking treatment or coping strategies will be the best options in the long term.

With benzos you can very quickly get to the point where you cant function without them, so I would ALWAYS recommend seeking out different options.

Take care

• Posted

Hi Charlie,

Thank you for your response 😃 yeah I have been doing research on benzos, highly addictive drugs, severe withdrawels especially after long time use. Some people i know say its good for short term relief of anxiety as unlike anti depressants they work fast, but they are very addictive and withdrawels from what i have heard can be very extreme..

With the xanax, ill see how i feel. As said i would only take one if needs be, but would it be dangerous to have drinks whilst away at night, especially after 6 hours of taking one whilst on holiday? I did try oxazapam for 7 days, they were great, i mean felt myself, but as soon as i stopped them-- gradually weaned off i ended up having a 'mental breakdown' kinda thing and wanted more. So i know how addictive they can be and decided its better to avoid thinking of taking if i could. unless only in 'emergencies', but that would be a one off, not take everyday.

I have tried herbal remedies, some were'n healthy though i.e. contained some alcohol, ethanol etc. Only herbal thing i have tried using now is cbd oil which i find helps when i take it, especially for leg pain.

Thank you for replying and ill look up EMDR 😃

• Posted

Hi Linds00809

You probably don't want to read this but your past substance abuse has probably upset and changed your brain chemistry and preventing your brain from making its own healthy chemicals.

Xanax is most likely to make matters worse, especially if you combine it with alcohol - the two don't mix, its that simple.

The anxiety and panic attacks are just symptoms of an underlying problem that needs to be addressed. Please begin to do some research on how you can begin to take control of your life. The power to control your life lies within you not a drug.

I have written a book about it and can PM you the title if you want it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.