xanax

Posted , 4 users are following.

how many of you are prescribeed xanax? it is the only thing that helps with panic/anxiety attacks and constant health anxiety conerns. i am prescribed, but i dont want to become dependent on it but i feel like i already am. i take around .75 a day and it really helps me- im not barred out or anything like that. im terrified of seizures though bc of other health concerns and i feel like i wouldnt not take it because of this fear. thoughts anyone? anyone taken it long term? there was a period of about 4 days when i didnt take it last month- but since thanksgiving have taken at least .25 every day for legitimate anxiety. 

0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

• Posted

I was prescribed that and I did take it for awhile but I do not like taking meds and when I stopped taking Xanax it made me feel like crap. I had the worst withdrawals. It made me 20x more anxious, depressed, I couldn't focus. So I stopped taking it. I heard long term use causes dementia and memory loss. I only will take meds when I'm having a bad anxiety day. But I'll usually only take kava. It's all natural.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

People who quit it should always taper off of it gradually per doctors advice.If you take it on a regular basis you should never stop cold turkey,thats usually when it would be possible for a seizure.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Xanax is a benzodiazepine as you probably know, I don't take Xanax but I do take Diazepam (valium) which is a longer acting benzodiazepine and have done for 17 years.

The problem with all benzos is tolerance and dependence, they stop working fairly quickly and can be really hard to stop.

I initially stopped mine after 3 weeks of a low dose and went through hell withdrawal, not helped by the fact that my doctor at the time just stopped them dead insisting it was safe, the next time he saw me I was so ill that he gave me two choices, admit to hospital or go back on them.

I had very young children and was distraught at the idea of hospital so I went back on them promising myself it would be low dose and not for long.

Well here we are 17 years later, still on them and on more than 3 times the original dose, every time I got tolerant I had a massive relapse and the doctor increased the dose, 10 years ago I refused anymore increases but I still can't reduce the dose I am on.

I am not your doctor and it is not my place to tell you what to do but I will tell you that if I could turn back time I would never have taken a benzo and certainly never gone back on them after that first bout of withdrawal, I only wish I had a better doctor back then who would have done a gradual reduction.

My experience is that they were great at first, relieved my symptoms and I was utterly desperate but I firmly believe they have caused me more harm than good, I was never given any therapy back then to help me cope and that is the most vital tool in my opinion.

Plus I was impatient, I wanted fast relief which is natural but looking back I wish I had given other medications more time to work.

My personal opinion of benzos is that they are a recipe for addiction disaster in people with long term anxiety, they are fine for the dentist or to take a flight, it's a one off but when you have daily anxiety you need that drug daily to get relief and that is how you end up dependent and tolerant.

My advice is that if you can find another way then do, a different medication, therapy etc but not daily benzo use although you should never just stop them without consulting your doctor first.

Obviously it is up to you, we all have to make informed decisions about our own health but it really isn't ideal.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Ive taken it for 7 years almost daily.alot of people are prescibed short term,others stay on it for life. My dose is 0.5 3 to 4 times per day as needed.I have no side affects.When i first took it i felt it much more then now.It used to make me more tired.My body has adjusted so have no issues with being tired etc.
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up