Xanax not working at all except to make me tired

Posted , 5 users are following.

I started taking sertaline and xanax 3 days ago. I am not new to xanax, I had to take it for a while when I was first diagnosed with an anxiety disorder about 10 years ago. I was taking 0.5mg, and It worked wonders on me at the time. This time, it does nothing but make me sleepy, but I'm still panicking and constantly on edge. I don't know if the sertaline is exacerbating my anxiety and making the xanax not work. I'm kind of freaking out. I'm so tired of being on edge and spending all day trying to avoid the next anxiety attack. Should I try a higher dose? Anyone has had that problem before? 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Have u tried propanolol I think that is best for panic symptoms
    • Posted

I have never heard of that medication. I don't see my doctor for another 10 days. I'll ask then. Thank  you.
  • Posted

Wean off the xanax very slowly. Tel you doctor when weaning off. Very very slowly.After you are off it for a few months it will work again. You built uo a tolerance.
    • Posted

I have not taken xanax for about 7 years, so there's no weaning off needed.
  • Posted

Hi, it will be the sertraline as it can make you worse before making you better, I had the same thing but didn't have Xanax I took propranolol which is a beta blocker and really helps, hope you get better
  • Posted

Sertaline is not the best for anxiety I'm afraid I was changed to another when docs realised what I was on !!! It's a bloody horrid nasty illness do u have phases of anxiety? Sorry to be no help! X
    • Posted

I do have phases of severe anxiety. I found over the years that the more I control external stressors, the less anxiety I have. Unfortunatelly, that's not always possible. I would say I generally have mild to moderate, with now 2 major periods of my life with severe anxiety, this right now being one of them. Is your also cyclical? 
  • Posted

Years ago, my first (and only) dose of sertraline (Zoloft) gave me my very first MAJOR panic attack!! It's been known to do this to a percentage of people to whom it's prescribed (see Wikipedia). I had to go to ER and they had to pump me full of ativan (lorazepam) to stop the panic, hyperventilation, horrible agitation, etc. Sertraline has been put on my "do not administer" record.

• Posted

I would HIGHLY suggest talking to your doctor about getting you off the sertaline and using only xanax especially if it worked wonders for you in the past. 

Meds together can definitely cause issues with anxiety. 

Use what worked in the past. 

Hope this helps!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.