Xolair

Posted , 11 users are following.

what have peoples experiences been with this drug?

i was told to expect a response maybe within 2-3 weeks after first injection, which i had exactly 2 weeks to the day!

and nothing my hives are still horrific!

did people find it took a while to work?

i feel like this is my last hope

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I did my first lot of Xolair injections on Monday. Have had urticaria for a year now. Several courses of steroids, taking 4 x 180mg Fexofenadine daily and 1 x Montelukast at night. Two days before I started on Xolair a flare up began, started a course of steroids on Wednesday as its so bad. Steroids not working as well as they usually do and now I'm worried that the Xolair is not going to work or even make it worse. Not been this bad for a while. Feeling so fed up with this. I hope you got a good response as this post is quite old now.

• Posted

Hi Michelle,

I am in a similar situation. I have had urticaria and angioedema since October 2019. In February 2021 they have finally started treating me with Xolair (Omalizumab) but although the month after the first injection has been almost urticaria free, the following months have been as nightmarish as usual. I will have my 4th injection next Monday, and I feel absolutely desperate. I was looking forward to start this treatment and get my life back, but so far it's been really useless apart from a wonderful initial short lived relief.

I have been told to keep taking Fexofenadine 180mg twice a day and Montelukast once a day, but again it feels like eating candy.

Having a low histamine diet helps a bit in controlling the symptoms (no caffeine, chocolate, mushrooms, nuts, etc), but I am full of hives from head to toes every single day, my ankles, feet, knees, hands and face get swollen periodically and I feel I have stopped living.

Fingers crossed for both of us, this treatment might work after more injections. (Although it's very tough now being optimistic for the future).

• Posted

Hi Michelle ive been on them 3 plus years and they work really well. I think it took a few weeks to work for me. Ive been off my meds for a month now as ive been trying an elimination diet which seems to be working. If i eat certain foods my hives get worse so its been an eye opener to see that you literally are what you eat. I still get some hives in the evening or night, but i try not to scratch and they ease after a few minutes. Im hoping this will work for me as I dont want to inject myself anymore. Good luck with your journey

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.