Xyzal for Chronic Hives

Posted , 8 users are following.

If you don't feel like reading through my prior posts... I've had hives for 4 months. Every. Single. Day. Giant welts. Here's what I've tried that didn't work:

• DAO Supplement to take histamines out of food.
  • Low Histamine diet
  • Watercress Supplements
  • Probiotics / Digestive Enzymes
  • Food elimination and re-introduction
  • Benadryl, benadryl and more benadryl
  • Zyrtec
  • Meditation/Yoga
  • Counseling (Stress)
  • Traveling a lot (in and out of high pollen areas)
  • Anti-Inflammatory supplements/diet

I went to the ENT on Monday. He told me to stop all of that with a very good point... Why am I doing all this when there's no change? Well, because I'm an action oriented person and want to try everything.

He prescribe me Pepcid AC and Xyzal. Both of which you can get over the counter. Xyzal is a non-drowsy antihistamine. They have no idea why but the combo of these two is particularly effective with CHRONIC uticaria.

Not sure what to think at this point, but I started taking them at 1pm on Monday. It's not 11am on Wednesday and I have not had one hive since Monday at 2pm.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

hi Marie

So glad this is working for you and please keep me updated as I tried both of them and they did nothing.. the only thing that worked for me was xolair... but this is good if it works..

• Posted

It's such a weird thing... it's like we just need to keep trying what is out there working and at some point one of them just clicks. 😃

• Posted

Im glad that combo is working for you. Xyzal works for me most days, about 75% of the time. i also have delayed pressure and exercise induced urticaria which the xyzal does not seem to prevent, only relieve symptoms slightly. The only thing i have found to help almost 100% is following a strict plant based diet and eliminating processed foods. its hard to stick with it but it works for me.

• Posted

Holy mackeral! wouldn't that be incredible if it worked for good?

• Posted

Try Tradional Chinese Medicine (TCM). It worked for my 8 year-old nephew. He took it for 2 months and his uticaria went away for good. It has been almost 2 years and he remains medication and rash free. He used to also react strongly to bug bites and his body parts would swell up, but ever since taking TCM there hasn't been another occurance.

For those without access to Chinese doctors and who are also a take charge person, there is a book on amazon about chinese trestment for urticaria. With most herbs being available mail order these days, it is something worth considering, IMO.

• Posted

I to have tried what you have done. The latest thing I tried was to fast (6 days bone broth) and it appears to have increased the time between steroid cream applications (from every 3 days to almost a week and a half!).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.