YAG after cataract surgery. How soon?

Posted , 6 users are following.

5 months after the surgery, my doctor says he sees scar tissue and that I should get YAG. Is it typical length of time? What are the symptoms that I should see before I know I need it? Any side effects besides that I cannot exchange lens after that is done?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Has anyone heard or experienced YAG reducing glare around bright objects?
  • Posted

I am not sure what you mean by scar issue. YAG is usually done to get rid of the Posterior Capsule Opaqueness or PCO, which is due to migration of cells to that area after cataract surgery. You need to be clear on the problem which you are trying to get rid of by PCO.
    • Posted

I meant to say "...get rid of by YAG." in stead of "...get rid of by PCO."

• Posted

He is using them interchangeably. Basically there is something at the back of the lens that he can ‘clean up’. 
  • Posted

Tissue and cells grow back behind the IOLs - typically more with round edge lenses vs square edge lenses and faster in younger vs older patients.  I was told to expect PCO in 2 to 5 years and to watch for blurry / hazy vision.  Which is why it’s called a secondary cataract sometimes.  A YAG would clear it.  

I see on these forums people can experience this even a few months after cataract surgery.   If there is any consideration being given to lens you exchange you will want to hold off on a YAG procedure.

• Posted

YAG laser capsulotomy is to remove the thin membrane that's left behind the IOL. It can be left alone, but in time it can grow and cloud your vision. Everyone's situation is different. I had mine removed 10 weeks after my left eye cataract surgery. It allows more light to reach the retina.

YAG laser can also be used to zap annoying floaters.

• Posted

Hello, eye-kan-sea- so, what led you to decide you need YAG? Did doctor tell you you need it or were there some symptoms you were experiencing.? What improvements did you feel after the surgery and how soon? 
    • Posted

The doctor recommended the procedure. It's painless compared to Argon laser. I didn't notice any change. Once it's done, the membrane won't grow back.

• Posted

I had my second eye done about 10 days ago. On my 1-week-later check, the doctor said something about some "stuff" left behind but she only knew the German word for it, so I wasn't sure what she meant. From her description, it sounds exactly like that being described by other posters. She said there's a good chance it will clear up of its own accord but that if it doesn't it's normal to have a quick procedure "about 6 months later". I got the impression it wasn't essential but was recommended as it can eventually have a minor effect on one's vision. 

• Posted

It's a thin membrane left from the cataract surgery.  It lies below your IOL.  It is essential to remove it.  In time it'll grow and block the light reaching your retina.  It'll appear like a cloudy cataract.  YAG laser is applied to "zap" away the membrane.  It won't grow back.  You can do it immediately or wait till it clouds your vision.

• Posted

Ok, thanks. Then I presume the few months delay is to see if it’s still there, and if it is, to have it removed. I got the impression that it was normal procedure to do so, and that it wasn’t very complicated for them.
    • Posted

Just be sure your vision with the lenses you chose is satisfactory.  The YAG procedure once done will likely prevent you from having a lens exchange.
    • Posted

Please make sure that you understand your issue. Often the issue requiring a YAG procedure is a Posterior Capsule Opaqueness or PCO. However, PCO is not usually developed within a week after the cataract surgery. Also, in case of PCO, a surgeon should not say that it is some "stuff" left behind or that it may clear up on its own. The surgeon should not be keeping you in dark on this one.

• Posted

The doc definitely wasn’t 'keeping me in the dark' about it. She did explain what it was but knew only the German word for it. I should have made a note of it - my fault. But it sounded like this PCO thing. Maybe she said that she’d seen something that could be PCO.  Anyway, she didn’t seem concerned about it and explained that it was easy to deal with if that was the case.

• Posted

I just had my yag two days ago.  I went from terrible vision to 20/20 by the end of the day- it was amazing.  Is your vision suffering at all now?  I wouldn't think they would do it until your vision starts to slip.  I am 9 months post 1st cataract surgery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.