YAG options

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've developed PCO in both eyes within weeks of cataract surgery. I understand YAG is the only treatment for this condition and is generally safe and effective. That said, I would like to explore options which might provide the safest YAG available. Is there a particular specialty or location where practitioners follow best practices and are particularly well trained in this regard? Thank you.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Two weeks after cataract surgery I noticed a change in my vision and was told it was PCO. I was told I could have YAG, but I had to wait a few months until all healing was done. I had my ophthalmologist do my YAG since he was the one that did my cataract surgery and I had faith in him. I believe he also does other laser treatments. I also did not ask for a specific YAG pattern because I wanted him to do what he was most experienced at doing. You definitely want to get a doctor that has a lot of experience and is very good at it. I was very nervous about getting YAG, but I felt I had no choice as my vision was changing so much. I couldn't drive at night, it was getting hard to read a book and I went through my day looking through what looked like a greasy smear or like someone had wiped vaseline across my lens.

• Posted

Thanks very much for sharing your experience. I hope your YAG was successful or if you haven't had the procedure yet, that it will be!

• Edited

This article may be of help to you, if you have not found it already.

https://www.reviewofoptometry.com/article/take-charge-of-cataract-care-with-laser-capsulotomy

It sounds like in 10 or more states in the US, YAG can be done by an optometrist. Where I am in Canada, Alberta, it has been proposed, but don't think it has been approved.

Again, you may already know, but lens exchange becomes much more difficult after YAG, if you are considering that.

• Posted

Thanks Ron. I found what I was looking for by (1) googling yag laser capsulotomy best practices and (2) searching for the word yag in the podcasts search box for professionally oriented podcasts on the topic.

• Posted

Is the PCO interfering with your vision? If not, I would wait. If it is, and you have confidence in the person who did your cataract surgery, I would use him or her. And of course, you can always get a second opinion from another cataract surgeon. There is no location or specialty for the YAG. All cataract surgeons do it. Some optometrists also do it, depending on where you live. I would personally only use a cataract surgeon.

• Edited

Since posting my question, I listened to a few professionally oriented podcasts which discussed different techniques for YAG laser. Having some familiarity with various approaches may be helpful in future discussions with cataract surgeons.

• Edited

Google " yag shots in iols safe or dangerous?"

A december 2020 journal article.

• Posted

Thanks for that article, Lynda. Very interesting and informative. I've been told I have some secondary cataract on my 2nd set of lenses and will need a YAG at some stage, but after the run I've had where just about everything that can go wrong has, I'm pretty wary of any additional procedures.

• Posted

A few of the articles I read referred to using a capsulotomy lens to reduce incidence of lens damage. For example:

Understanding the laser’s focusing capabilities, using a capsulotomy lens, reducing power settings, and utilizing the laser offset settings may help to reduce the incidence of lens damage.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.