Yawning causing palpitations

Posted , 3 users are following.

im a 28 year old female that ever since getting over covid i been having random palpitations, usually at night. recently, i yawned and i felt a hard thud and my heart was racing yet pounding very hard. i tried to get it to slow down or at least not beat so aggressively but failed. it got to the point where i was considering going to the hospital but a jump in the snow seemed to do the trick. i got lightheaded and afterwards it gave me a headache. what would cause it? I never ended up going to the urgent care or anything because i didnt wanna waste anyone's time. since that this morning, all day i been kinda tired, and just walking up the stairs causes my heart to race and feel slightly winded, when normally that isnt the case.

info about me: i am active daily due to the work i do.

i do smoke, but i am trying to quit, i really wanna quit

i do drink caffeine, i have cut back greatly on it.

i went from drinking 4 energy drinks a day to 2.

(i get caffeine is a stimulant, i been addicted to it for a long time and happy i cut back as much as i have. caffeine has never caused any weird palpitations for me before either)

sorry for the long story

thanks to any advice

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

Obviously only you can decide if you need to have this properly checked out by a doctor. Something has changed, which may (or may not) be covid related. Have you googled 'Long Covid' which is a recognised condition?

This is from the NHS web site;

Common long COVID symptoms include:

extreme tiredness (fatigue)

shortness of breath

chest pain or tightness

problems with memory and concentration ("brain fog")

difficulty sleeping (insomnia)

heart palpitations

dizziness

pins and needles

joint pain

depression and anxiety

tinnitus, earaches

feeling sick, diarrhoea, stomach aches, loss of appetite

a high temperature, cough, headaches, sore throat, changes to sense of smell or taste

rashes

It certainly matches some of the things you mention but a proper medical examination would confirm this.

I think this may be the time to actually quit smoking and curtail the caffeine found not only in coffee but energy drinks and Colas as they are known to cause palpitations.

Has anything else changed in your life such as diet?

You might find it helpful to google 'yawning and the vagus nerve.'

• Posted

thank you, i do appreciate the reply. i have pretty much cut out caffeine mostly cuz id prefer not to have a episode like that again. tomorrow i plan on getting checked at urgent care and see if there is anything thing they can do. as of the moment, im laying here, been trying different techniques to get my heart rate down as its been wanting to stay around 130bpm. I'll definitely look up what you suggested as well 😃 i just hope these episodes calm down sooner then later

• Posted

Please let us know how you get on after going into Urgent care.

You might find it helpful to jot down some logical sequential notes as to what has been happening to you and questions you want answered. The reason for this is that it is very common for symptoms to disappear as soon as you step into a medical facility!

There are frequent accounts on these threads of people going into their doctors or hospital for an ECG which finds nothing, but as soon as they step outside the palpitations or whatever immediately reappear.

I find it also happens with Dentists. You go in to the waiting room with a severe pain but as soon as you sit in the chair you can't tell the dentist which tooth has been hurting as the pain has gone!

Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.