Yawning Constantly

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey guys!

wow this site is really intresting and helpfull, dont quite know why im looking ip up at quarter to 11 at night but nevermind lol.

Yeah, i was just wondering if anybody else is getting that constant yawning side effect...my jaw is starting to really ache now, plus people at work must think that i am either lazy or just not sleeping properly.

I had this problem last time i was on the pills but a few months in it went away.

But im happy to say that this time around im not having my vivid and frankly horrid dreams, i would wake up in a complete cold sweat almost crying and out of breath, but thankfully it has passed me this time.

Wow sorry for my ramble, i look forward to hearing your replies and opinions.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yes I kept yawning the in the afternoons and my eyes watered as well.

Am coming off Citalopram after 3 months and this is my second day off them.

m x

• Posted

oh good, at least i know that my body isnt bewing wierd or anything.

hows it going?

Hope your feeling ok.

xx

• Posted

Hi Vivien - Yes I had the Yawns for a while too when I started taking these in February this year. I also clenched my jaw extremely hard but had been grinding my teeth in my sleep before hand as well. The yawning was really annoying and with the grinding etc my jaw was very painful. Glad to say tho that all of this stopped after a couple of weeks.
  • Posted

Ahh, yes this griding teeth business, im actually waking up now with a very sore jaw, i thought it was from all the yawning, but i noticed that some of my back teeth were bleeding earlier, and that it really hurt when i clenched my jaw shut when i was eating.

Funny side effects eh lol.

Oh im glad they went away with you, gives me some sort of hope lol.

I hope everybody is ok.

xx

• Posted

Hey Laura - The grinding teeth is called bruxism (Think that's how its spelled). The dentist offered to make me a shield to wear at night but I declined - the thought made me heave! Anyway, a few times over the year I forgot to renew the prescription and left it a week or so. When I restarted the citalopram the grinding came right back for the first week and then stopped. I should say that forgetting the tablets was the reason I stopped altogether. I am not good at remembering to take them so have decided to struggle on without them, but seem to be managing ok at the moment. Being kind to myself and not afraid to say no to people is my motto for now and not feeling guilty about it!! Good luck everyone.
  • Posted

Grazelda, hey thanks for that information, my mum also grinds her teeth but shes stopped now, shes not on any medication she just used to do it as a sleeping thing lol, she could honestly wake the damn house up.

Well i woke up this morning with no achyness of the jaw, but this yawning business has just gotten worse. This morning at work i was yawning like every 10 seconds, im a sales assistant at dorothy perkins so im pretty sure that i wasnt making the best of impressions on the customers, it was happening for so long i just felt so so sick. I really hope they just both settle down as they are really doing my head in.

Im not very good at taking tablets everyday, but as im on the pill aswell i know that i cant take one without the other, so far its working pretty well lol.

Take care

xxxxx

• Posted

Hi All,

Im into my third week of this drug & feeling bit better already. Started at 10 mg but Doc has increased to 20 mg as still feeling bit anxious. I'm trying to keep positive!

The yawning is annoying though at least im not alone lol. Hope it goes soon!

I grind my teeth anyway so hope this isn't going to be a problem for me with this drug!

Good to read all your comments. This is the first time for me on this drug. its good to know im not alone.

Thanx everyone x

• Posted

hi - the yawning is a side effect of the drug as are feeling very tired and sweating a bucket.

they wear off but will take 4-6 weeks depending on the individual.

Dont give up on the drug - it does work .

Good luck

Gill

• Posted

Hi all

Can I just remind everyone that just because one AD works for one person it doesn't necessarily follow suit that it will work for the next person.

If you have been prescribed citalopram and feel after the recommended weeks needed for it to take effect it hasn't helped, not to feel you are a lost cause or there is no hope for you.

There are many other AD's out there for that simple reason! People react differently to drugs, therefore, you may need to try 2 or 3 different AD's before finding one that works for you.

Please don't become disheartened if this happens to you - there will be an AD out there that will work for you.

Thanks for reading

Melbi

• Posted

I was constantly yawning the first week, which is awful when you're in meetings, but I just explained I was on medication and it was a side effect (without going into too much detail!)

I find that I end up yawning again, and with other mild side effects if I change the time I take them by more than a couple of hours. However it usually wears off in 24-48 hours.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.