Years and Years

Posted , 3 users are following.

May be a long story, I injured my back at 23 and about  a month after I developed Iritis. Over they years my lower back and upper spine had stiffened up considerably. I am now a 58 year old male. During physicals my doctor would tell me my mobility in both my neck and lower spine was horrible, 30% of what it should be. All that said stiffness was more often than pain. Over the last 10 years however my neck becomes so stiff at times that it causes major headaches and then disappears. 5 to 6 years ago i started to  get tingling or burning sensations at my pelvis that went down the back of my thighs., along with tingling in my lips of all places. The Dr said it was arthritis and at 55 that is normal. I had to have a knee xray and they told me I had arthritis on my Knee, however my knee does not really bother me. The other thing is that over the last 5 years I have had iritis 4 times, now I have a major back flare up and it resonates from my tail bone out to my hip. I used to ask my wife to massage my back but the pain has always been on the direct bone at the  top of my tail bone. It was my eye doctor that said I should get checked for AS. Long winded question but two things recently my last physical showed one Kidney down to 63% and the last  couple of weeks it has been uncomfortable urinating or ejaculating and doctor said I had an infection when he tested my urine in the office, and put me on Cipro, but when the lab results came back no infection. DIscomfort still there, prostate normal, however my glands are all over the place with tingling and I am drowsy at times. So we are getting tested for AS but could all these be AS related or just nerves sad

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Sorry I hit send to soon, more things always come to you after you hit enter. I have had intestinal problems mainly, bloating and cramping, for years, but it preceeded this latest round of back flare up, I have a small patch of psoriasis, and last year i had real issue with my jaw which the doctor said I had water on the jaw, it did go away after a couple of months, but I could not even open my mouth to bite a burger. I guess my big fear is that my glands seem to be affected now and it was not that way before
  • Posted

I feel for you, brother. It's a very common story here. This disease has the ability to cause chaos all over our body. The two areas that cause the most pain for me is the eye and prostate. I get prostate infections or just swelling. It feels like a UTI, when I urinate it burns like hell. I find it all very interesting and very frustrating at the same time.

• Posted

That is strange as it was a burning urination that accompanied this flare up, and what I can tell everyone, I have been under more work stress in the last 3 months that in my entire life. Stress oh boy
  • Posted

Peter, you should ask for an MRI of your spine, your neck and lumbar spine especially. Tingling of your lips can be a sign of arteries being constricted at the upper neck and having urgency to urinate but not getting much urine output can be nerves compressed at the neck level as well as the lower back to pelvis region. A radiologist will be able to check for this from the MRI. Are you seeing a rheumatologist?
    • Posted

I should clarify it is more a burning than a tingling, however I will heed your advice. This discussion about a radiologist and rheumatologist will definitely take place with my doctor. I have not been tested for the marker. Things I have experienced the iritis. The back pain that wakes me up but goes away during the day, the lower and upper spine lack of mobility , bowel cramping, urinary troubles, X-rays showing arthritis in my neck lower back and knee, floaters in my eye, inflammation in my mouth; at times a facial mole swells then goes back down, even a tendon tear in my leg. No one has ever joined the dots on AS except my eye Dr because of Iritis so many times. Even my nasal passages swell up at times so bad the small capillaries break. All of this is not constant but seems to flare up at the same time. It’s all symptoms or no symptoms. All have been going on for years but the last 2 have been the worst

• Posted

Peter, that will be a good start. You can ask your eye doctor to talk to your primary physician if he doesn't take you seriously. X-RAYS of the spine will show calcification and bony bridging but the MRI will show nerve compression. If it is arterial compression at the upper neck you might have to take a contrast dye before the MRI. It's an injection but I'm not sure if it is good for your health.

• Posted

Thank you I am seeing my doctor on Monday. Appreciate the feedback very much

peter

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.