Years of misery!

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have suffered from persistent bouts of threadworms since my early 20's - I'm in my 40's now and until I found this site - I really did think I was the only one. It isnt the type of thing you discuss openly - you pluck up the courage to visit the GP once in your life-time, but find him looking at you incredulously and unhelpfully going through lots of good hygiene tips (gee hadnt thought of that!) but really not able to offer any more practical advice that you haven't already followed. Still the question remains unanswered - why can't I get rid of them for good?

Over the years I have become nigh-on neurotic with my personal hygiene, house-cleaning, bed washing, knicker changing routine - have almost developed an OCD in hand washing and if I'm honest, it has seriously impacted on my sex life - all because I seem to be more suceptible to threadworms than anyone else, over the years I have even blamed people I work with - all in an effort to understand why I cant get rid of them! I have a very responsible job, but its true to say it has had an impact on my confidence and social life. So I'm in a cycle you see!!! Not the threadworm cycle we read so much about on every website, on every pack of tablets- but a cycle of feeling that familiar tingling in your back passage, taking ovex/pripsen/whatever, feeling relief for a few weeks, taking the follow-up dose - to the correct hour!!!! and then sitting back and praying they dont return, of course it may be a month or even two, but that familiar tingle returns and your heart sinks. Over the years I have bought so many treatments and at one time went 6 months popping a tablet every two weeks with absolute discipline, they still came back! And so you see I am resigned, my dreadful secret - always a box of pripsen in the cupboard, in fact I panic if I run out - ready to take at the first sign. I wondered about colonic irrigation or insisting on being referred my GP to a parasitologist, but I see that others have tried that without success. So I wish you all well, so grateful to have found there are more like me - and I'll keep the stock of Pripsen/Ovex topped up and not let it impact too much on the rest of my life and continue to ponder the question of why some people, no matter how they try or how clean they are, continue to suffer from this awful condition which makes you feel so dirty and why it is the medical profession just can't explain or treat it effectively in people such as us!!! Good luck everyone!! Any miracle cures let me know!!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I presume by 'parasitologist' you're referring more specifically to a consultant in infectious diseases, which I was about to post as a recommendation on an advice page I've just read, if all else fails.

Hey, it's great though you can go a few months without getting reinfected, and it keeps you a little positive. I was beginning to wonder how I'd ever get rid of them, what with many of the eggs being airborne, and it being so easy to transfer them through the pocket of a coat, for instance. So many ways, so many items of clothing.

Our flat will look like Miss Haversham's 'living'-room, before long, as I think stirring up the dust with a hoover or even a carpet-sweeper, before at least 2 weeks is just spreading them more than is absolutely unavoidable. It seems such a Herculean task, but I want to cut down the possibilities as much as I can.

Best wishes, (as of course to all sufferers)

• Posted

hi im in the middle of an infestation, i also suffer from bad contipation on a visit to the doctor this morning i asked was it possible medicine for threadworms wasnt working, as the gut is already full with poo!.

She told me yes this could be the case so as of today i have had to have a full bowel clearout via a laxative then to take vermox and to see if this works as then there would be nothing blocking the medicine getting to the affected area.

hope this helps!

• Posted

I unfortunately have loads of experience and the one thing has dawned on me is that the drugs donot work. I also know that I don't re-infect myself so these worms are now still living having been through all hygiene measures, drugs,colontherapy,herbal medicine. I am in my 40's and have had the problem for years and having taken everything under the sun I just feel depressed. It keeps me awake at night and I have passed it onto my childern in the past and now they suffer the same.

I just manage the symptons. The doctors don't believe me and anyway can't seem to suggest anything. I am thinking about writing to the drug companies to see if they can start testing some new drugs.

• Posted

Hi, are you still suffering ? Can i ask you a few questions please? Thanks Anna
  • Posted

Hi, how are you doing? Still suffering? Ive still got then 8 years on...not sure if there is ever a cure? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.