Yeeeh Haaaa

Posted , 6 users are following.

been in pure hell with this pain all weekend, now walking with crutches.

phoned me GP on Monday morn who told me to double my dose of lyrica and tramadol.

so i phoned the spinal surgeons secretary and told her the situation. she told me to email her and she'd pass on to him.

here it is below

Xxxxxx,

Could you please forward to [name withheld].

Mr [name withheld],

Over the last couple of weeks my back pain has become unbearable to live with, My GP, [name withheld] prescribed Lyrica as suggested by the consultant on my visit. He also changed my pain killers from tramacet to tramadol SR.

My back pain has now moved from the left side of my body to my right, I am getting sharp nerve pain every time I put wait on my right leg, I’m getting numbness in my feet and lost feeling in my right leg from the groin down for about 2 – 3 mins.

I have done a bit of reading up on the problems I have and I would be happy to go through with an operation as soon as possible, I can’t live my life like this and don’t want to be waiting another 4 or 5 years in agony trying different things.

I phoned my GP and he was no help, he just told me to take more tablets. I feel completely let down by the NHS. I’ve been paying taxes and national insurance for the last 17 years and I’m left to suffer like this. I need an operation ASAP to sort this once and for all.

Regards,

[name withheld]

They replied with in a couple of hours giving me another appointment to see the surgeon.

I'm going to fight my corner now to get my op asap.

I need decompressive surgery as i have 2 herniated disc and narrowing of the spinal canal (spinal stenosis), what recovery time is required for such an operation????

(Sorry but Patient Admin have removed some personal details and the swear words from this posting, as it is the policy of Patient UK not to publish personal information on this forum.)

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

good for you gdee keep at them ware them down like they do to us i hope everything goes well

best wishes

chris

• Posted

Keep going Pain Buddy. Don't let up on them. Have they given you an appointment date? A step in the right direction. At least now your file can have the cobwebs dusted off and it will see the light of day again. I think the files for most of us here must be parchment by now!!

Good luck with the next step!

TFU

• Posted

Hi,

I slipped two discs in November 2005 ( accident at work ) and eventually October of this year I had spinal canal decompression and removal of L5/S1 disc protrusion, was in hospital for five days, and as I keep saying on this site, if I needed to have it done again, I would in a split second.

The pain prior to the op was unbearable, the pain down my leg was like a sharp blade or electric shock running down my leg, could not stand up without being in pain nor could I lift my leg, it would get to a certain spot then the pain kicked in, no drugs touched the pain either apart from nerve root blocks ( injections ) I had twice.

Im \"lucky\" enough my employers have \"allowed\" me to work from home so have not rushed anything, dont sit for long, lie down alot, still have not driven, I have a very understanding wife and I am able to do most things now just not walk fast or bend, lift or pick up anything :-)

The main thing is I have slight aches in my back but worth every minute of it not to have THAT pain anymore.

I wish u all the best and do keep us updated

Russ

• Posted

Hi Gdee,

Keep on at them they'll eventually get sick of all the emails and telephone calls you make and you'll get your back sorted out soon hopefully.

Good Luck.

Angela

• Posted

thanks everyone, my boss is putting me off work until i get sorted on full pay so not too bad. means i can take more meds until i get an op. (if i get an op)

the xbox 360, ps3, wii and ps2 are goni get some abuse for a while lol

• Posted

well everybody, i went in on friday morning on a cancellation and out again yesterday morn. i'm sore as hell and have sciatica down both legs. just wondering is it meant to be like this post op
  • Posted

Hi Gdee,

Well I'm really glad you've had your op and will keep everything crossed that you have a positive and uneventful recovery :D

As you know, I had an open plan L5/S1 discectomy in Nov 2007. I had a lot of weird sensations in both my legs which gradually eased over a few weeks, my legs kinda went into strange spasms when standing and trying to walk, I also had sciatica down both legs which also eased over time. Thing is there isn't much space in there and there will be a lot of briusing and swelling to the surrounding tissue which will have an impact on how things function. Over time, sensations and feelings should return and the nerves start working and this too can feel quite weird. It may be worth looking back at some of the posts both myself and Wuffy posted as we found we were experiencing similar things...Good luck with your recovery and take things easy, even when you feel you can do more...in the early days for me it didn't take much to overdo things and to set things back a few days...it was a case of 2 steps forward and 1 back..and don't get too frustrated with yourself if you feel recovery isn't going quickly.....I found reviewing my progress on a weekly rather than daily basis helpful as I could see my progress more easily. For me, almost months post-op, things are good....I had my last physio last week after a year with the physio dept but I am still continuing recovery with a daily physio routine ( ask your GP if you can be referred for Core Stability classes at your physio to start approx 3-4 months post-op). Good luck with your recovery and keep us posted.

Take care,

Jules xx :D :D

• Posted

Hey Gdee

Glad u have had the op but now the real fun begins, one thing would say is for any feeling u get in your back and leg from now on in, always come on here and ask if its \"normal\" before worrying.

I had aches in my shins, aches above my knee, sharp pain in my calf etc etc and we just dont know what is normal and what isnt so knowing just one other person was experiencing the same as I was made me feel easier, Jules was the one person I could really relate to and to me she is a G-d send.

Im gonna sound like I know what Im chatting about but seriosuly, take it easy ( if u can ) dont try to run before u can walk ( literally ) and it will all come in time, Im now six months down the line able to overtake OAPs in the street :-)

Hope the recovery goes well, do keep us informed

All the best

Russ

• Posted

Hi,

Pleased to hear you have finally had your surgery, you must be so relieved. With regard to your post op recovery, everybody is different, but basically I think we all agree here that it is very important to take things easy post surgery. I know that is hard when the boredom sets in, you are on your fourth week of daytime TV and there are things to be done!! I too had a very varied selection of odd pains here and there post op so don't be too concerned. The only real thing you need to worry about is Cauda Equina Syndrome, but that is very very rare. Basically, if you have an onset of bowel and/or bladder problems and severe pain/numbness, then you should call the hospital, but other than that it's just a matter of letting nature take it's course. The soreness gets better over a week or two. The human body is amazing in the way it can recover from these things. But it is a journey and really you will need to be respectful to your limitations.

When do you hope to go back to work???

TFU

• Posted

thanks folks for taking time to reply, the constant sciatica is getting less and less as the days go buy. i feel a bit guilty getting the girlfiend to do everything around the house especially as she just gave birth to a beautiful little girl 2 months ago.

I'll keep you posted on my recovery and my oxynorm addiction :P

No, seriously i'm on;y going to take them for the first couple a months :lol:

• Posted

Hi everyone,

don't know if any of you remember me but i have 2 prolapsed discs and spinal stenosis.

Had my op in a 3 months ago and all seemed to be going well, after 6 weeks or so my back started to deteriorate and i am now in the same position as before.

I'm relying on oxynorm, tramadol, solpadol and lyrica to give me some kind of ease, saying that when i'm doped up i'm good for nothing anyway.

I had another MRI 3 weeks ago in Musgrave and i'm waiting on word now from the surgeon to see if there going to operate again. he told me that because my back has been like this for 5 1/2 yrs that the nerves could be perm damaged. it was them that kept me waiting for 3 yrs for an appoinment.

i've been off work on the sick now for 9 months and i feel the depression creeping in on me, theres only so much xbox you can play.

I really don't know what to do, i want to get back to work but i know that i just can't sit or stand for any period of time at all. i've been turned down for DLA 3 times now and I couldn't be arsed even appealing again even though i know i'm more deserving of it than most of the low life that lie there way to getting it.

Thats my rant over for now, thanks for listening

Glynn

• Posted

hi,Gdee, Just looked at this site yesterday, and came back today and have been reading your story. Sounds pretty much like mine, except mine happened in '83/84. Had laminectomy, was sure it would help--it didn't! had spinal fusion in '84. things were done differently then, and they used bone from my pelvis, OUCH!!!! to try to fuse my spine (L5-S1) I'm telling you this,because of your upcoming appointment. Please get as much info as poss. if they say that they want to operate again.I really believed the consultant when he told me it was a big op. but it should help me a lot.I'm nearly 25 years down the line, and worse than ever. Wish I could go back and undo the fusion, I also wish I had had more patience at the time, and given my body more time to heal, and done more physio, instead of being terrified, every time I had pain. Have done so much research over the last 20 years or so into spinal probs. I thought things were bad then, little did I know!! All I'm saying( and I'm not an expert, apart from in pain) please,please,please, don't rush into anything. Find out as much as you can, doctors don't know' everything, it's not their fault, unless they've experienced what you are going through,it's impossible to imagine what it's like. Don't want to depress you any more than you already are, But don't want you to end up like me either, take care, and I really hope you get your answers, and something can be done.
  • Posted

thanks for the reply candy,

my problem is im in constant pain and im goni have to try wat i can. i don't think id go down the fusion path but who knows. we'll have to wait an see wat the docs have to say

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.