Yellow Bump on Soft Palate

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone, bit of background. I am 35 years old, female, ex smoker (I vape and haven't smoked cigarettes for 3 years) and a suffer with health anxiety. Otherwise healthy, not a great duet but run a few times a week and I am on the slim side. Not sure if I can add photos (would really help if I could!) But I have developed a yellow bump on my sift palate that has been there at least 3 weeks. It's It's, like the size of a pen tip, but because of my health anxiety I have jumped straight to the conclusion of oral cancer and can't seem to stop floating on this. My glands in my neck seem to be up slightly and my throat has started aching, as well as my ear on the side where the spot is, however I have no symptoms of a cold or virus. I'm driving myself crazy with worry, bit I'm also scared to go to the doctors because either they will have terrifying news for me or I will feel totally stupid wasting their time. I'd also like to point out that because of my health anxiety the aches and pains may well be "in my head" as in basically I can scare myself into feeling them. It's awful because I can never quite find the balance of when to see a go or not. Any advice or ideas what it could be would be great, thank you.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Good for you for acknowledging that you have health anxiety! That's already half the battle. Most sufferers don't have the insight to recognise what's going on and end up making themselves really ill.

However, in the same way that "just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you", just because you have health anxiety doesn't mean you can't get something physically wrong with you! It sounds to me as if this is something perfectly harmless, possibly something you've always had and never noticed before. We all have all kinds of lumps and bumps in our mouths. But if you're concerned about it I really think you should run it past your doctor or dentist, either to put your mind at rest or, in the unlikely event there really is something wrong, to get it treated. It doesn't sound remotely like mouth cancer to me, as this normally starts with a kind of ulcer rather than a bump. And whatever it might be, it's clearly in the very early stages anyway.

If you feel you've been bothering your doctor a bit too much lately because of your anxiety, go and see your dentist. A good dentist is likely to know more about mouth conditions than a GP in any case.

Keep up the good work on the health anxiety! It sounds to me as if you have a good chance of overcoming it.

• Posted

Hiya, I've got exactly the same thing at the moment (and health anxiety too!) I've seen the GP twice and he says it might be tonsil stones or some sort of calcifications? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.