Yellow eyes, tests all ok. What is going on

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I am a regular poster as I have severe health anxiety.  I have been having a lot of stomach pain in the left and right hand side just below ribs.  GP pass it off as IBS and diverticulitis which I have.  I also have GERD, I think IBS/GERD all related.  I am 57 female and live in UK. But due to where pain is located am convinced I have pancreatic cancer, STUPID I KNOW, but being honest here.  My latest tests show a drop in iron which was high and my LFT's are as follows.  I know we are not doctors on here but any advice appreciated. 

?T BILI <5

T PROT 72

ALBUMIN 40

?ALP 57 (was 33 in Jan)

ALT 20 (was 58 in Jan)

?I had a DVT in December so not sure if that would have made a difference to ALP/ALT.

?As I say the whites of my eyes are yellow to me and to my family, but Dr's say not, I did have an eye test in March so hopefully that would have shown anything up relating to jaundice.  I do have slight non alcoholic fatty liver,  but was told most people over 50 have this so not to worry, could this be the cause of yellowing eyes.  Thanks for reading

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I sympathise with you suffering from health anxiety, as I'm a long time sufferer myself. Unfortunately, we tend to scrutinise and are fearful of everything that's going on in our bodies, we always think the worst, and, of course, the stress this causes in our system plays havoc with our hormones and can cause more imbalance. Your tests are in the normal range, which is a positive. My doctor told me that numbers can fluctuate and still be normal for you, as you may remember my bilirubin was just outside the normal range, she assured me it was nothing to worry about, as it had been higher before and had actually come down. I don't know anything about GERD, but do have  IBS caused by stress. Not sure of the normal ranges of ALP and ALT, ALT has come down, which I think is good? If you are really worried, and need peace of mind, go back and see your doctor, he maybe able to reassure you about your concerns. Easier said than done as I only know too well. Addie

• Posted

Hi Addie, I hate being this anxious all the time, but am trying to overcome it.  Spoke to GP today who everything was normal, did agree eyes were slightly yellow but said that could just be the natural hue of my eyes! not sure but happier now. Take care
  • Posted

You really need to know what your bilirubin is, because that is the cause of jaundice or rather the movement of it.

GORD (Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease) not GERD, should have no bearing on it.

Google 'bilirubin nhs' and look up the article on jaundice.

• Posted

RHGB, I do know the normal range for bilirubin, as mine was just outside the normal range, which had me more than very worried for a couple of weeks. However, my doctor reassured me that it was nothing to worry about as it had actually come down, and some people can have a higher bilirubin level than others and that can be normal for them, so had no choice but to believe her, but am aware of it and certainly keeping an eye on it. However Youngatheart's bilirubin level is quite low and I believe that's better than being high, to me that looks like a positive, just saying, no expert though. You're obviously more knowledgeable than me😁

• Posted

Hi, I thought iwas was GERD in UK and GORD in USA, that is what my GP told me.  Who knows!  I spoke to GP today about low bili and he said better that way, but gave no reason why?.  I will look up the article.  Many thanks
    • Posted

Yes, it is better to have low bili, high bili means something is not functioning right and it is not being disposed of, so it builds up in the system and that is why you become yellow. Jaundice is not an illness, it is the symptom that something is not right.

The second letter in Gord/Gerd comes from oesophagus, derived from a Latin/Greek word. The Americans always refuse to spell things properly, so they drop the 'O' and spell it esophagus, hence they call it Gerd. But if you're ever looking it up and want to view British websites, it is better to use GORD.

• Posted

Thanks for your explanation, much appreciated.  I will use GORD from now on, wish I did not have either spelling but unfortunately have been on PPI for over 10 years now, so not going anywhere fast. Take care
    • Posted

RHGB thanks for the info re GORD. Have looked it up, learning much. One needs  to be well informed before going to the doctor, because most of them want you out of the surgery asap.
    • Posted

In fairness, GPs only have 10 minutes per appointment, except for double apppointments for special circumstances, like mental health.

Therefore, it is best to think out what your problem is before the visit. Skip the niceties and go straight to the point, doctors don't want to discuss the terrible bus journey to the surgery, they want to know what is wrong with you.

So, starting with, I'll get straight to the point doctor, is a good start. Don't tell them about your sore toe if you're concerned about heart flutter, concentrate on the problem in hand. The doctor will ask questions to get further ino.

A good monring/good afternoon will suffice and then on to the reason for the visit. 10 minutes per visit, 2 minutes for the doctor to go through previous visits and your history and 2 minutes at the end, to write up notes for your visit and type out any prescriptions give.

That gives you a golden 6 minutes to get across the problem, for your doctor to probe questions to qualify what they think is the problem. If you approach it like that, you will generally find that you get the most from an appointment.

Of course, they are some rubbish doctors out there that really haven't got a clue and you're best to make sure you get an appointment with another doctor, rather than them.

• Posted

I agree with everything you say, the 10 minutes has to be used efficiently. I do normally write things down now so I don't forget anything.  My GP is fairly young and I'm getting used to him now, think it's important to have trust in your doctor. My last  GP was brilliant, on the ball with everything, gutted when she retired. There are definitely cut backs in referrals, which I think is appalling. Had experience with this when I thought I may have breast cancer 6 months ago and was made to wait 6 weeks to be referred, as I had not long had a mammogram, they thought I was overreacting. Yet, the  breast consultant at the hospital said I done the right thing. You're right in that you have to be proactive with your own health, and you just have to push if you want to be referred.

• Posted

This is a 1st! Everything you said is exactly what I've been wondering/going thru. My fear is your fear! I too have health anxiety that started 9 years ago I'm 61. I'll cut to the chase. Is it possible to have low bilirubin 0.5 and still itch, have yellow eyes and yellow stools (not floaters). Nothing on my hepatic function panel is near the high end. Everything's pretty low.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.