Yellow stool for several months. Gallbladder removal didnt help

Posted , 7 users are following.

About 7 months ago i started getting symptoms of gallstones. Pain after eating, pain when trying to sleep etc. I also noticed my stool had turned yellow (not gray or clay colored). I went to the doctor and did some blood tests which came back normal. I also had an ultrasound done which only showed gallstones.

2 months ago i had the surgery to remove my gallbladder which went well. I dont get any pain anymore after eating, but my stool is still yellow although I have noticed that depending on what i eat, the color turns more or less brown. What could be causing this?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

If you are not feeling any pain or problem, why does the color of stools matter? It might be that it may still take some time to get things normal or may be it has to do something with the removal of gallbladder.

• Posted

It can take time for your body to adjust to no gallbladder; perhaps try a low fat diet. Your gallbladder acts like a tank to store your bile. When your gallbladder is removed, it affects the way your bile is stored.Ask your doctor if you are worried.

• Posted

I know its normal to experience these changes after the surgery, but i havent seen alot of info about yellow stool before it.

Ive made an appointment with my doctor in about a week, will ask him about it then.

• Posted

Hi. Not an expert but could it be your food is not being digested properly as the gall bladder secretes bile to help with this and makes the stool brown? Diahorrea also often yellow as food goes straight through. Beth.

• Posted

Hello, yea i pretty much have the same exact symptoms, i also had my gallbladder removed but i felt like this before the surgery, i also had 3 endoscopies that revealed nothing. I feel bloated all the time having yellow narrow stools which doctor thinks i have ibs but i feel like im dying slowly and no one knows anything. Im only 23 years old

• Posted

Hi there Baba. Was it bright yellow stools in a daily basis? or sometimes pale brown? my stools in a mainly basis are pale brown to somewhat yellowish. i don't get the normal brownish color like chocolate colored stools per say. i do have gallstones and haven't had it removed yet. You said you've had ultrasound done and bloodworks nothing elevated in your liver enzymes? what's your bilirubin level if you don't mind asking?

• Posted

Hey Jeff

Depending on what i eat the color varies between yellow and light brown.

I didnt get to know any of my levels actually. My doctor just called me and said the tests were normal ( liver function etc. )

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.