Yellow stool....what does it mean?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey guys,

ive been and vodka drinker for 15+ years now and would usually drink 3-5 days a week. Sometime i would take a week off or more but im pretty consistent. I had an ultrasound done on my liver, gullbladder, pancrease, spleen, and kidneys back in November 2016 and all came back negative for any damage. 2 weeks ago i had a doctors appoinment to do blood work and all my levels we in order, so i felt like drinking and ended up doing so for 6 days straight, averaging 5-6 drinks per night. Then one morning i had to use the restroom and noticed my stool was bright yello/pale and i freadked out!! this only lasted for 36-48 hours until i noticed my stool turned back to normal.

Has anyone exsperienced this before? And if so, what does it mean? Being that it came and went with in 2 days. I feel fine now but im really nervous ive done permanent damage.

For the last year ive had very light upper right abdominal pain that radiates to my back shoulder blade. It comes and goes when i eat something greasy or spicy, But labs and ultrasound show absolutley nothing. 

Thanks

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I sorry I am at a complete loss for any explanation, if your worried I would have a chat with your G.P

Good luck

• Posted

I don't know either.  But one thing I have discovered personally is that I occasionally have yellow stools that seem to leave a greasy film on the water in the toilet whenever I eat nuts.  

I don't know whether this is related to the multiple liver cysts I've been diagnosed with.  They occasionally cause the upper quadrant pain you describe.

The simple solution for me is to avoid nuts.  The trouble is, I do like them, and whenever they are around I'm sorely tempted.  

I hope you get answers from your G.P. and wish you all the best.

• Posted

Hi Jimmy, I don't think you have anything to worry about at the moment. What I would advise you to do is stop drinking for about 6 months and give your liver a rest, and see if the pain subsides. You may have some inflammation that could be causing the pain, and the alcohol maybe aggravating it. 

• Posted

You may want to get a liver function test (LFT) and jaundice symptoms. 
    • Posted

Hey guysthanks for the quick replies. Yes rocky ive have check my lft's 2 weeks ago and all came back with in the normal range, even ggt. Im just wondering if it can be my digestive track thats inflamed and blood test and ultrasound didnt detect this. Ive mention the pain to my doctor's and neither of them can pin point the pain.

I do have a high RBC but doctors think it due to sleep apnea. I have cut back my drinking from five to six drinks and night to no more than two beers every other 2 days or so. I do eat many vegetables and greens and have a low fat diet.

I just can't figure this out.

• Posted

You may want to cut more on drinking or stop altogether, and see if it makes a difference. 
  • Posted

Hi jimmy

I'm not at all sure what the pale stools maybe but in The first instance I would say stop drinking as there maybe problems to come if you don't. I would certainly go to see your doctor again and be honest about your drinking he may offer you help with cutting down, and also talk to him about all of your concerns. I wouldn't advise trying to get an answer from the internet as everyone has different body reactions to all sorts of things. I have always been advised not to take alot of notice of internet diagnosis although it may give you an insight into what you could be looking for and also possible questions to ask your doctor.

Good luck and I hope all gets sorted out

• Posted

Hi Jimmy,

My partner is going through the same thing. He was a heavy drinker of spirits for a while.  He has basically stopped completely now other than the odd special occasion. 

His symptoms started similar to yours with the pale coloured stool.  He has pain on his right side which goes through to his back.  He said the pain feels like someone is driving a hot poker through his body.  He believes the issue is his liver.  He has had 3 ultrasounds, a colonoscopy, and endoscopy, a MRCP, a CT, MRI and dozens of blood tests, urine and stool samples.  The doctors are yet to come up with a diagnosis.  My parter has lost over 10kgs (22lbs) and is nearing anorexia.  This has been ongoing for almost a year now. 

We dont have health insurance and it is costing us financially.  If your doctors happen to find out what is wrong with you I would love to know your diagnosis so we can get our doctors here in New Zealand to test my partner too.

All the best to you and I hope they find out what is wrong with you soon.

• Posted

Hi Dee, how worrying for you both,especially with all the tests coming back ok. Can't give you any advice, just hope you both get an answer. Is the weight loss due to the stressing if it all?

• Posted

Hi Addie,

We are not really sure about the weight loss to be honest.  There are certain foods (mainly sugars) that make the symptoms worse so he is eating less of these which will definately be contributing, but to have lost as much as he has I think is related to whatever he has.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.