Yellow stools

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all

I am 21 years old, male and for the past 2 months I have been experiencing a wide array of worrying bowel related symptoms.

It began with a change in the colour of my stools to a pale yellow/brown colour. Since this the colour and consistency of my stools have been consistency alternating from a normal brown colour to a pale yellow colour and an orange/tan colour (sometimes a mixture of each colour within the same stool!).

The consistency itself also began to be more loose and separated (unlike the 'sausage like appearance of normal stool) along with undigested food including vegetable matter such as peppers, carrots, tomatoes, leafy greens etc and whole grain foods including brown rice, undigested particles from wheat cereals and so on.

Despite my stools remaining loose I will normally only pass 1-2 bowel movements a day (almost always in the morning).

Since noticing these symptoms I have taken many trips to the Drs and revived many different tests. First lot of bloods which showed a slightly raised white blood count however liver function, and thyroid all fine. A second lots of bloods 2 weeks later showed my FBC had returned to within normal ranges. Stool samples also showed no sign of bacteria causing problems within my bowels however a slightly raised fractal calprotectin level (102) suggesting inflammation. Due to these results I have been arranged to receive a colonoscopy which I'm hoping to have within the next couple of weeks.

Besides these bowel symptoms I have also noticed more hair falling out more than usual, breif episodes of breathlessness and becoming more tired than usual (wake up approx 7:00am and becoming very tired by 8:30pm along with boats off tiredness throughout the day). Generally I feel very limited pain with my bowel troubles besides occasional burning feeling in upper abdomen however gurgling and noises is a common occurence.

Does anyone else experience similar symptoms or know of anything which might point out to what can be causing these symptoms as any help would be much appreciated!

Many thanks

Joey

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Have you passed any blood in your stool? Has IBS been mentioned?  Some people with IBS don't digest their food well and it comes out as it went in.

• Posted

Hi philippa61759

No never seen any blood during a bowel movement. Just always different looking stools each day in terms of colour! The most noticeable thing at the time being is the tiredness which is stopping making it difficult when it comes to working and living the active sociable life I want to.

Cheers

Joey

• Posted

Hi

I also forgot to mention my stools tend to float almost always!

Joey

• Posted

Hi joeyline6

Regarding your tiredness have you had your B12 and Ferratin (Iron)checked if these are low you will experience extreme tiredness and lethargy. Go to your doc and ask for a blood test to check for this, also check for Methylmalonic Acid which becomes elevated when B12 is depleted and Plasmaholotransic Balamin which becomes decreased when B12 is depleted......if your B12 and ferratin are low this can affect other bodily functions...best wishes....

• Posted

May I kindly ask what Plasmaholotransic Balamin should be please?

(Ferritin, Iron, Transferrin, Vit B12, if needed Methylmalonic Acid, maybe even Folic Acid and homocysteine, but this other one you mentioned doesn't ring a bell and can't even find it on internet....one has to have the correct term otherwise the doc dismisses one instantly anyway.)   

• Posted

Floating stools can be caused by excessive gas, food malabsorption, lactose intolerance or celiac disease.  If your colonoscopy comes back normal ask your doctor about celiac and lactose intolerance.  Also try avoiding gassy foods such as cabbage, Brussels sprouts and broccoli.
    • Posted

Hi Lilian

I have had both B12 and iron checked and both came back fine..

Joey

• Posted

Hi

I have been tested for celiac already and that came back negative! I havnt eaten much of these 'gassy' causing foods in recent months so thinking that it may not be the food which is causing excess gas.

Joey

• Posted

Hi joey

Did they check Methylmalonic Acid and Holotranscobalamin.. because although your B12 came bac kok these other markers may not be normal therefore givinga false B12 reading...go back to your doc and check for this...best wishes..

• Posted

Thank you! Now it's clear.

'co' was missing,

"cobalamin" is one word, it means 'VitB12', one chemical,

("co" should not be separated from "balamin", which lab/literature does that? cheesygrin unless it was a separation due to ending page, next linecheesygrin

• Posted

I second the food intolerances.. I have the same issues with burning on my right side anywhere from my upper abdomen through the flank to the groin.. Changes in stool color (same colors as you even) and consistency (not watery but loose).. My stool sample tests came back fine and so did the bloodwork.. As soon as I mentioned yellow stools to my GI shr asked if I had ever been tested for lactose intolerance.. She also put me on a FODMAP diet to check for food intolerance.. Just started so no results yet but I guess we'll see.. PS just because celiac comes back negative still means you can be gluten intolerant

• Posted

Hi there. I've had very much the same symptoms ever since I had my gall bladder removed about 7 years ago. My research suggests symptoms due to a lack of bile available during the digestive process. Even if you still have a gall bladder it may not be releasing enough bile. If one's stools float and there may be an 'oily' film in the toilet bowl it's because the fat in your diet hasn't been broken down during digestion.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.