Yellow stools after gallbladder removal

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi today makes the 3rd month I've been without my gallbladder an my stools are changing consistently from solid to diarrhea but they all seem to stay yellow I'm very concerned I've got a GI appointment 3 months away.. Is yellow stools normal..plz help

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi red, was your stool always yellow? Like bright yellow? when was the last time you had bloodworks? Did your doctor mention any high levels of bilirubin? 
    • Posted

No they use to be normal brown color before now they range from light brown to bright yellow some times I get bright yellow diarrhea my stool results from GI said everything looks normal on my labs..the yellow color scares me
  • Posted

Hi red. 

I’m one month out from having mine removed. The diarrhea was super bad until just a few days ago. I asked my doctor on my follow up and he said, whereever I was on my third month, that’s where I could expect to stay. If I was still having problems there was medicine he could give. 

I think the yellow is from the bile now going straight into your intestines and you can expect it to stay that way. 

I’m being super careful regarding what I eat and if I find something that is too harsh, I add it to my list. I made the mistake of eating a big salad for lunch a couple of days ago with light ranch dressing. I had some intestinal pain the next day. 

• Posted

Do not worry! Gallbladder removal can cause bile acid malabsorption which causes diarthoea.  Your food will be passing through too quickly so the bile will not be getting a chance to disperse properly. A SECHAT scan picks BAM up and there is treatment to help bind your bile salts.
  • Posted

The gallbladder holds bile.  When you no longer have it, the bile has nowhere else to go but your intestines.
  • Posted

Thank you to everyone who replied its nice to know I'm not alone on going thru this it means a lot to have support. Its there anything I could possibly do to stop the bright yellow stools.

• Posted

Hi Pippa, my name is Natasha I had my gallbladder removed about a year and a half ago and I'm still having bad intestinal problems. Constant diahreea and it's bright yellow and my butt stings after each time. What is a SECHAT scan?

• Posted

It is a scan that looks for bile acid malabsoption that can occur after gallbladder surgery.  BAM causes diarrhoea.   The SECHAT scan comes under nuclear medecine. If you have BAM, it can be controlled with medication to bond your bile salts.
  • Posted

Hello Red, 

I am 7 days post op, I had diarrhea a week prior to surgery and then yellow diarrhea after just started having formed yellow stools today that float. I assume it is normal, seeing my GP tomorrow. Surgeon follow up Monday.  On the Brat diet introducing low fat foods slowly. How is your diet? Have you seen your doctor and if so what was their explanation? I hope you are doing better! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.