Yes - sometimes your doctor doesn't give a damn & etc.

Posted , 12 users are following.

Just thought I'd post something on my hospital experience. Two weeks ago I had a consultation with a surgeon at the provincial govt hospital under which my suburb is registered. I was referred there because my GP thought I had Gallstones. My cholesterol was 5.89 (AND THIS WAS WHILE I WAS NPO)  and my bp was 142 / 97. I don't know what it is now since I have taken meds and changed my diet but yeah, to continue... The surgeon I was sent to turned out to be someone who really just didn't care. Aside from being rather weak in the language of English he also suggested that my illness was psychosomatic and that may I was just having a panic attack. I told him: "Doc, check my file. I haven't been to a hospital in nearly ten years. I have not been this ill for a decade. The common flu or bug I handled with home remedies because I hate hopsitals - why would you claim that it's all in my head if this is the case. My folder is barely a page long." Mortified and a bit irritated the doctor decided to check my symptoms and lo and behold my right side was tender. He put me on an ultrasound waiting of (wait for this) 2 MONTHS!!! I was furious. I was in extreme pain, struggling to breathe and I had severe chest pains and this guy was telling me to WAIT for 2 MONTHS. At least he had me take a blood test as well - which was one point in his favour but he still persisted; "But you don't have jaundice, and you look really healthy. You've even lost weight - are you sure you're sick?" I almost strangled him! Well as it stands I have six weeks between now and my ultrasound appointment and in the meantime I am SUFFERING. Chills all the way from my stomach up to my throat, pain around the upper right quadrant of my abdomen whenever I do something excessive like lift my legs when I walk or exercise. It's terrifying. Lord knows how many times I thought I would die, hemmorage or worse, get a heart attack (and I don't even have heart problems) I have dropped a whopping 25 kilograms since November last year and I am now 86kgs, only 16kgs away from my optimum weight of 70kgs. As happy as I am about this I am concerned about the healthcare professionals we are stuck with. 

I understand that they are human. I understand that they are people that can get ill from overworking just like the rest of us. I understand every human issue. BUT STILL - show a bit more compassion won't you?

4 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Horrifying Tamsyn that you and so many others have their symptoms dismissed and/or are forced to wait so long for tests and treatment.  It breaks my heart!  
  • Posted

I only waited a week for ultrasound and another week for results. Showed I have gallstones. I now have 6 - 8 month waiting list to have my gallbladder removed. That's just the way it is here in Wales.

Hope you get this sorted out sooner rather than later

Take care

Sarah

• Posted

Now I feel like crying. Woke up feeling extremely odd this morning. It was a blend of symptoms. From something that feels like asthma to something that feels like a heartattack. I strongly suspect that I have a gallbladder problem but these other symptoms are making me doubt myself. Tell me that I am not losing my head here. sad
    • Posted

You are not losing your head here. I know someone who had gallstones and had her gallbladder removed. One of her symptoms was she thought she was having a heart attack.

Hope this settles down for you.

Take care

Sarah

• Posted

This has got to be so frightening for you.  When I had GB attacks, I felt "odd", too.  Just couldn't pinpoint what was wrong, but knew I didn't feel "right".  I've read online sites that say lots of GB sufferers think they are having heart attack symptoms, so you're not alone.  But to be safe, if you think you might be having heart problems, you should get medical help.  I'm with Sarah--take care of yourself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.