Yesterday my 5 year old son was diagnosed with Perthes'

Posted , 1 user is following.

Yesterday, after an x-ray to examine the cause of my sons limp, I was told he has Perthes' disease. I had never heard of it before and it came as a big shock. I didn't think to ask how much damage had already been done to the hip. We will be given excersises next week by the physio and I have read about limiting the amount of jumping and running he does.

My son is small for his age and a bit on the skinny side, is this a factor of the disease or does it affect all builds? Should I try building him up a bit or will this make the wear on the hip joint worse? :?

Any advice would be appreciated, the affect of this on my normal, happy, mostly pain free little boy hasn't sunk in yet.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I too was diagnosed with perthes at the age of 5-6. I have lead a very active life up untill I was about 35 and it has not held me back. This week I am having a hip replacement as I am really beginning to suffer with it. Having said that I have had great care and have lead life to the full and they did predict a new hip at 40 and I am 44 now so don' t despair just make sure he gets the right treatment.
  • Posted

hi,my 5yr old son was diagnosed 3 months ago. My email address is **** if you would like to get in touch.

x

[color=green:a3c2573e85][i:a3c2573e85][b:a3c2573e85][size=9:a3c2573e85](Sorry but Patient Admin have removed either a telephone number, an email address, and or web address, from this posting, as it is the policy of Patient UK not to publish these on this forum.

If you wish to communicate directly with people, you should register, for free, with the forum (click Register in the menu list below the green banner above). You and other registered members will then be able to communicate with each other via Private Messaging (PM) or e-mail.)[/size:a3c2573e85][/b:a3c2573e85][/i:a3c2573e85][/color:a3c2573e85]

• Posted

I had perthes aged 5 and 6. I'm 16 now.

I must stress you must really limit the pressure he puts on his hip to an absolute minimum. He's quite a bit older than I was, and he''l be used to going out to play so this will be hard for you trying to stop him as much as him. He'll want to run about and you really must stop him- you'll know the consequences. But I remember no pain at all.

I wouldn't try building him up- I'm no expert, but I think it'll make it worse. Try asking a doctor.

I know that it must have come as an enormous shock, but at least it'll will get better. Quite honestly, I can't remember which leg I had it in. It has never affected me since I got the all-clear. I'm so grateful to my mum for making me keep still- both my legs are same length (!) and I'm completely pain-free.

It'll be hard, but do your best and it'll all be over soon.

xx

• Posted

i too was diagnoised with perthies at 5, yeah life has been a strugle and the diseas has stop me doing sport, but it hasnt affect me as a person, more than anything i think it is hardest on the parents as they dont fully understand the diease or cannot feel the pain there child is experiancing but more than anyfin if it wasnt for my mother being there for me and supporting me through th bad times i wouldnt be the person i am2day, hope this has helped,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.