Yet another chronic chest/sternum pain undiagnosed

Posted , 4 users are following.

So 7 weeks ago I developed this pain I’m my sternum which felt like pressure/ heaviness hours after a hard session on the bike. Hospital ecg - ok. Bloods troponin ok- told it’s not cardiac and sent on my way. Symptoms eased but stayed for 2 weeks. Then had echocardiogram and treadmill stress test all of which were fine with no symptoms. Yet since it started the pain comes and goes and is actually worse if I wall my dog yet I can go on my spin bike and get my heart rate well up and no symptoms. Doctors have just thrown naproxen and other pain meds at me. Getting a ct angiogram done next month as the final test but I am quite sure if it was cardiac it would have progressed by now and I would not be able to go on my bike without some sort of angina etc. At my wits end, been to physio with he hope that it was my spine was tight and it was causing my sternum ligaments to be over used but non conclusive....back pod worth a punt? 

Healthy 36yr old very keen cyclist with no history of illness..

Seems to be worse lying on couch and does ease if I go into a ball on the floor...pain still feels like tight/ heavy chest with someone poking a finger in my sternum. Not really any palpable pain maybe slightly if any

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi, You asked is the backpod worth a punt? In my experience it has been very useful in relieving my symptoms and stretching tightness, which are similar to yours, and for less than 2 physio sessions. I look forward to using it because it just feels right and you're in control of the extent of stretching you do. It comes with an informative booklet. Also look on YouTube for exercises and information 'How to Fix (most) Tietzes and Costochondritis'. Steve August talks so much good sense and is very informative.

I too have had all tests, including ultrasounds, endoscopy, thorax MRI and been through a cocktail of medication from my GP/ hospital consultants. For me, after 18 months of Costo, the way forward is twice daily SLOW GENTLE stretching (doorway stretching helps too) and trying to stay positive. I am slowly getting better and can do so much more than I coud a year ago. I have recently started to have acupuncture treatment to try to break up pain pathways that are lingering. It is certainly helping too. Hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.