Yet another different pill!

Posted , 7 users are following.

The saga with my uncontrollable high blood pressure continues.  Losartan Potassium has been doing nothing for my BP, in fact I even asked the consultant if he thought that it could raise my BP, as I'd never had such a high diastolic reading before being on all these different pills. Consultant has now prescribed another pill, the beta blocker Bisoprolol 1.25mg yesterday.  Don't understand why I should stay on the Losartan if it isn't doing anything but that's what he wants me to do.  Shame it doesn't work as it's the first of about 6 BP medications that hsn't produced nasty side effects.  Will now cross fingers that the Bosoprolol turns out to be friendly!  He reckons it's a cleaner beta blocker than Atenolol which I took some years ago - whatever "cleaner" means.  He said that Atenolol carried a risk of diabetes.  I remember the Atenolol really slowing me down and feeling lethargic, and I couldn't lose weight no matter how I tried.  I was about 11lbs heavier on it, and I so hope that doesn't happen again.  Not surprising it causes diabetes if it makes you gain weight.    Blood pressure was 209/95 the night before last;  at the hospital yesterday it was 184/85;  this morning before taking any pills it was 170/93;  four hours later 166/77;  this evening 179/78.  Here's hoping!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I'm assuming the cardiologist has looked into why your bp is so high on a continuous basis, my partners was high like yours so I can understand your concerns, he's on enalapril it has worked great for him and he now keeps fit at the gym and is down to a good weight for him and it's good numbers now so I hope you can get yours down to a good place.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply Alexandria.  As I have only one kidney and chronic kidney disease, it it a renal consultant who is treating my blood pressure.  It is believed that the low kidney function is the cause of the high BP and that the high BP is aggravating it further - so a catch 22 situation.  I did ask yesterday whether he thought there was anything else wrong with the kidney that is putting up the BP but he dismissed that.  Perhaps I'm considered too old at 73 to throw money at with expensive tests. I did try GP referral sessions at the gym for a few weeks but gave up when the instructor decided my BP was a little too high to take the class one day.  I do walk for half an hour each day, as briskly as possible and am quite active otherwise, including Tai Chi sessions.  I'm glad that your partner has found that Enalapril is proving successful for him - haven't tried that one yet so will keep it in mind.
    • Posted

73 is not that old nowadays, so don't think you don't deserve the same treatment as someone of 33.

You are obviously suffering and it can feel like climbing a mountain when things don't work for you, I have no idea where to suggest you go with it as I'm definitely no expert so hugs on there way,

• Posted

Good Morning Mrs O I was placed on Indapamide and nearly killed because most GPs and emergency works wrongly believed it was a diuretic when it is a vasodilator. I have got Patient.co.uk site changed re Indapamide description. I am on Indapamide 1.5mg MR, 2 x 20mg Furosemide (one taken early am one about 1pm) and Valsartan 80mg (which is one of only 2 ARBs that stop aldosterone breakthrough). I have been trying to get NICE which wrongly recommends Indapamide as a diuretic changed. Many people will have died or had strokes over this error.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the phone number as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

It's very irritating when this website removes helpful information supplied by patients. I don't take indapamide [just Losartan which works fine for me] but reading your comments I decided to look at the NHS website and they also describe it as a diuretic 'reducing hypertension by increasing salt and fluid loss'. Just thought it worth mentioning.Should you perhaps be  telling them too? 

I'm not sure what a vasodilator is, something that dilates veins ?

• Posted

The site has delayed my full post. If you are wrongly on Indapamide believing it to be a diuretic urgently contact your GP for 2 x 20mg furosemide (one at 8am one at 1pm) and monitor your fluid in/ fluid out and electrolytes carefully. Eat a bannana a day and low salt diet I was nearly killed by being wrongly prescribed Indapamide by my GP and the emergency services who wrongly believed the vasodilator was a diuretic water tablet my contact details should become available soon i hope
    • Posted

I'm not on Indapamide - it was prescribed a few months ago but caused several abnormal blood test results after just 3 1/2  weeks (sodium plummeted, creatinine/potassium raised, already reduced kidney function reduced by further 8 points)  and I felt wretched so it was immediately stopped. It sounds as though you had a horrid experience with it, too.  I haven't had salt in my diet for many years - with only one kidney I am only too aware of the problems that salt could create.  Thanks for your reply.
    • Posted

Have you been tested for Renal artery stenosis and Aldosterone breakthrough? I had Aldosterone breakthrough caused by coming off mirabegron and this was solved by the ARB Valsartan 80mg most other ARBs or ACE inhibitors dont solve it 
  • Posted

It will really help me and others if you can please report the side effects that you had to the MHRA. The MHRA deny that Indapamide has such side effects as none have been reported. Your doctor should have also reported the side effects please aslo ask him to send in a report
    • Posted

No I haven't been tested for anything - I feel (or I would hope) that as I am under a renal consultant he would be testing if he thought necessary.

I am familiar with the MHRA as I have attended a meeting at which an MHRA member was guest speaker, but with my extreme sensitivity to so many BP medications I fear they would consider me a one-off!

• Posted

Helen, the consultant said that beta blockers can cause diabetes but that he thought I shouldn't have a problem because I'm not that overweight!  Strange, because I know people who are very slim and who still have medication-induced diabetes.  I'll cross my fingers on that one.  I haven't taken my BP over the weekend and when I read your post thought that I should.  Wish I hadn't - it's still very high.  However, the consultant did say that it's a tiny dose and is asking the GP to gradually increase it if I'm ok on it after a couple of weeks.  My pulse, however, is lower than usual at 54, not that I want it to go lower!  To be expected though as beta blockers such as bisoprolol are designed to slow the heart.  Definitely felt a bit laboured when out walking this evening - par for the course I suppose!  Will take a reading a bit earlier in the day tomorrow and hope for better things.  Thanks for asking, Helen - at least you prompted me to do a check.
  • Posted

try water and eggplant recipe you can google it ,im taking it around a couple of weeks now along with bp medication ,bp has dropped, it tastes abit like cold tea try it as it willnt give unpleasant   side effect .would be intresting if trialed   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.