Yet another newbie!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi - after being overweight all my life having tried all diets out there with the exception of lighter life which is far too expensive for me, my doctor has prescribed me Orlistat but, like many others, no advice on what to eat etc. I know that it has to be low fat but it's this 30% bit that daunts me. I know Tesco have a nutritional table on most of their products and it mentions where the fat content is listed underneath as 1% of daily allowance - do we use these as part of our 30% allowance? I think I will just stick to a low fat diet and hope for the best! Approx 11 stone to lose so a long way to go but have a Caribbean cruise holiday booked in March and don't fancy sitting in a cramped seat on the flight and want to get where I can put the tray in front of me down! 2nd tablet to be taken in 15 mins with lunch - so far so good!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hiya,

I know, its very confusing isn`t it. 30% is the fat intake ur allowed between your 3 meals ( I think..lol) Just try and keep each meal 10mgs of fat content (or as near as damn it).

I stick to a low fat diet. Lots of fruit, muller light yogurts. Kallo rice cakes with low fat cheese triangles (laughing cow) or cottage cheese are fab for snacks.

An example of my dinner would be, chicken/meat(whatever dinner is), rice (uncle bens express rice , either golden veg or savoury chicken, those ones are low in fat, the rest aren`t), or batchelors low fat noodles, and loads and loads of veg.

Welcome to the gang.... :D

• Posted

Good luck - I have my first appointment with the doc next Monday to get the pills and from everyones experience I cant wait. I know it will be a hard slog but the rewards will outweigh the side effects......... :o

I will be on the way to a new life and more importantly a new me! :twisted:

• Posted

It has now come to the point where if taking tablets and suffering afterwards if I have anything with too much fat in it is the only way I can diet then I am willing to give it a go and hopefully by this time next year I will be a new me - Day 2 and no effects yet!
  • Posted

[quote:b1cff33a43=\"peasmith\"]Hi - after being overweight all my life having tried all diets out there with the exception of lighter life which is far too expensive for me, my doctor has prescribed me Orlistat but, like many others, no advice on what to eat etc. I know that it has to be low fat but it's this 30% bit that daunts me. I know Tesco have a nutritional table on most of their products and it mentions where the fat content is listed underneath as 1% of daily allowance - do we use these as part of our 30% allowance? I think I will just stick to a low fat diet and hope for the best! Approx 11 stone to lose so a long way to go but have a Caribbean cruise holiday booked in March and don't fancy sitting in a cramped seat on the flight and want to get where I can put the tray in front of me down! 2nd tablet to be taken in 15 mins with lunch - so far so good![/quote:b1cff33a43]

Hi there,

Welcome. Like many of us here very few have been given info on what to do and what not to do. I would say the follwoing after my own experience of 2 weeks so far and with what we read on here to follow the these rules.

The main rules are=

1. keep your TOTAL FAT intake under 50g per day and try to evenly spread the fat over 3 meals per day. otherwise you could have an overdose of fat in that particular meal and have an accident or along sit on the loo.

2.If you are eating between meals make sure it is something with no fat like fruit//veg.

3.Oddly enough the tabs can give you constipation which I have just experienced after 2 weeks of being \"regular\". all i done was take to Dulcolax and I feel a whole lot better.

4.make sure you have plenty of fluids specifically water and you are more likely to experience dehydration and then have the headaches.

5. if your having a meal with no fat at all then there is no need to take a tab.

6. keep positive, and keep to the rules the best you can and i am sure you will experience some weight loss like the rest of us newbies.

best of luck :wink:

• Posted

welcome Nicky.... smile
  • Posted

Thanks for the advice shoeandbaglady! Keep thinking of my nice white trousers and top I am planning for the Caribbean (although hopefully I might have lost a lot of weight by then (WHITE trousers - no no at the mo!).
  • Posted

[quote:30e5ffe4d2=\"peasmith\"]Hi - after being overweight all my life having tried all diets out there with the exception of lighter life which is far too expensive for me, my doctor has prescribed me Orlistat but, like many others, no advice on what to eat etc. I know that it has to be low fat but it's this 30% bit that daunts me. I know Tesco have a nutritional table on most of their products and it mentions where the fat content is listed underneath as 1% of daily allowance - do we use these as part of our 30% allowance? I think I will just stick to a low fat diet and hope for the best! Approx 11 stone to lose so a long way to go but have a Caribbean cruise holiday booked in March and don't fancy sitting in a cramped seat on the flight and want to get where I can put the tray in front of me down! 2nd tablet to be taken in 15 mins with lunch - so far so good![/quote:30e5ffe4d2]

Hey Peasmith,

I can sympathise with your fear of the plane seats :roll: The last time I went on a plane I was 18st 4lbs and I couldn't even get the tray past my belly :shock: The air hostess had to give me a pillow to rest my lunch on :!: :oops: VERY embarrassing :!: TTFN Kal :wink:

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.