Yoga during shingles?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been doing a yoga class for quite a while now before the shingles attack.   I was wondering if anyone has done yoga or gone to yoga classes during your shingles time, and if you found it helpful.    The class is a beginner's class with folks age 50 + so it is gentle and not strenuous.

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Shingles dont develop from emotional and physical like yoga or other exercise, its mainly  comes when the bodies immune is weakened then virus comes from being laying within the body, its a virus that lays in the nerves, get a supplement ( Lysine ) it is a amino acid that will build the immune system, get 500mg tablets take it  2 twices of day, this will help  relieve outbreaks and pain from it, and  will help get the virus out of you.
  • Posted

If you feel fine, go ahead. When was it diagnosed? Depending if you got the antivirals and they worked well, there’s no reason not to. Many people feel so ill and/or in pain, they’d have no interest. 
    • Posted

It was diagnosed Friday,  I had the rash Thursday.   I just started the fourth day of antivirals.   I'm still in pain across my left chest and around the back a bit.   But I can move,  so I thought gentle yoga movement would be good.    It's hard for me to just lay around all day,  so I wanted to try something.

• Posted

My husband had shingles four times, but it was always caught early, like you. He only had pain once, and that was only for a few days. Whereas I didn't get the diagnosis until it was too late, as it was very atypical and we were 3000 miles from home, so no anti-virals. That was October 2016 and I have PHN now, the condition where the virus damaged the nerves and there's still pain. (short answer).

IF you felt lousy, had increasing pain and other symptoms like nausea, headache, extreme fatigue, I'd say "no", but I also think you'd have no interest in yoga. When people have the extreme pain of shingles, it's best to rest and not aggravate the nerves/pain. This doesn't seem to be your case. However, if the rash is visible, people may get concerned, even scared as they think they will catch it. Ask your doctor if you have any concerns, or wait just one more week to make sure you're really up to it. I'd hate for you to be at that early Oh-it-doesn't-hurt stage, and things change quickly. Maybe do some at home, for brief times to see how your body reacts. You ARE ill, even as the anti-virals are trying to stop the spread.  p.s. I LOVE your attitude.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.    I went to the class and it was good.   It is gentle movement,  and if I couldn't do something,  I didn't,  and that is fine.   My rash is all covered,  wearing a long-sleeve sweatshirt, so I didn't scare anyone.   The fatigue is hitting now,  so I do think I need to rest and relax more.

• Posted

I’m glad to hear it went well and that you were prudent. On the opposite end of the spectrum, as I’m recovering from my PHN I’m getting back into some of my activities, trying to find the happy medium. Keep us posted?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.