yoghurt with artificial sweetener

Posted , 10 users are following.

i have been eating  about 750ml of yoghurt on a daily basis the one with artificial sweetener. Great for the bones..... and now I wonder... anybody any idea whether that could trigger polymyalgia rheumatica.....I suppose the only way to find out is stop eating the stuff...I wonder what you people think Ida

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Do you have PMR now? I don't understand what you mean saying, if you stop eating it you will find out if it causes it or not.

• Posted

sorry I was not very clear.... yes I have had PMR now for about 9months and managing more or less on 7 mg of prednisone a day.

i have been eating , for a long time, 750 ml of artificially sweetened yoghurt, but the last week I used only a bit. ....I am suddenly feeling quite a lot better and wonder whether that is the nature of the pmr, or if it could have anything to do with not eating the artificial sweetener. I wondered if anybody else would have had a similar experience....thank you...ida

• Posted

You do have the option to try - eat yogs again and see if you feel less good. But I think it is more likely to be the additives than the youghurt,
  • Posted

although I would recommend one without artificial sweetener... Plain yogurt is probably better.
  • Posted

I think of all the options I have heard "did this trigger my PMR" that really is one that is pretty unlikely! And stopping eating it is unlikely to stop the autoimmune process.

There are many potential causes of autoimmune disease and it is VERY unlikley to be a single thing but a whole load of things that stress the immune system until eventually it falls over a cliff because one brushed against it. They can include infections, trauma, emotional and physical stress, your genes (having ancestors from Scandinavia), environmental factors and even - possibly - weather/season.

Like nick, the only thing I would suggest - buy plain yoghurt, not low fat, not artificially sweetened (both have far too many chemical additiives that have no place in your body and hence your food) and add goodies to the plain stuff. My personal favourite is Total Greek yoghurt.

• Posted

Thank you all for thinking with me, that is the beauty of the forum....

i like this this a “whole lot of things that stress the immune system until it falls over the cliff “etc. etc. that is exactly how it feels.... and then my great Friend died... which was so traumatic, but, yes, people die.....and now I have stopped working, start resting etc. etc. ....you can only push yourself so much. If it was not for the pmr I would still be working at 66 and I am glad I have given this up....

we we will add the Greek yoghurt without artificial s as is taking away one of the issues. So again thank you all who contributed to this question, you allll know what you are talking about....never mind, this will pass and if not, well that is it then... kind regards, Ida.

• Posted

Do you have PMR? if so I assume your meaning it’s stopping flair ups. 
  • Posted

It’s very easy to make it, takes much better, and you can add what you like.
  • Posted

If there is a connection I very much doubt it's the yoghurt, unless you have a serious intolerance of dairy.  Artificial sweetener is very bad for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.