Yoli

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi I was diagnosed with a hiatus hernia after a gastroscopy they took 4 biopsies, when i asked my doctor for the biopsy results he said I had inflammation of the oesophagus, I have been given omeprazole cetirazine avamys nasal spray and gaviscon my symptoms are gradually improving. Suddenly out of the blue I received a hospital letter today with an appointment at the hospital surgery department and signed from the waiting list manager, im now scared as being the weekend i can't ask anyone, has anyone else had such a letter? Could it just be a follow-up appointment appointment

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like this is just a routine follow-up. The fact that you've been referred to a surgeon doesn't automatically mean you're going to require surgery, though obviously it could do.

May I ask how long ago you had the biopsy and how far in the future the appointment is? It would also be helpful to know which country you're in - though it looks like the UK or RoI, given your spelling of oesophagus with an initial "o". The reason for asking is that some countries are more keen on referrals than others.

Don't let it spoil your weekend in any case - especially as you say your symptoms are improving.

• Posted

Hi thank you for your reply, I'm in the UK, I had the biopsy on the 3rd November, the appointment date is this coming Wednesday, I know it's not long but being the letter arrived today it came as a shock, just as I had begun to stop worrying

• Posted

Just to add I had the biopsy results a week ago
    • Posted

As a former NHS nurse - albeit from some time back - I can confirm that if there'd been anything immediately life-threatening they'd have seen it during the biopsy and wouldn't have left it for another month. Sometimes biopsy results are slightly confusing, which means they may want to do further checks.

The good thing is that if it's for this coming Wednesday, you won't be left in suspense for too long.

Do come back and tell us what happens at the appointment, won't you? You and I seem to be on our own in here for the moment, but I'm sure others will look in on this thread.

• Posted

Thank you I've never been on any of these type of forums before, I have read some comments though I had been off work for 3 months with problems of these conditions following a chest infection, my worst are feeling like a lump in my throat, the other is my voice, it hurts to talk, amongst chest pain and fatigue to name a few, at one point I really didn't want to be here anymore, very unlike me, so looking at other people's symptoms gave me a weird sense of comfort. Anyway I feel more positive and of course a nice strict diet of steamed fish potatoes and broccoli, along with the medication helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.