You are going to make it.

Posted , 4 users are following.

That is normal, but concerning if you are depressed because you do not want to finish your treatment or do not want to go on.  If you are stressed or tired, I would rather here you say that.  Usually depression is established after a month of time.  You are in pain, taking pain meds, feeling guilty because you are in bed and everyone is use to you being the person that works and contributes.  

What you have is kinda like the baby blues.  Understand the pain gets better and you will be walking and doing things in no time.  I went swimming at seven weeks; yesterday.  However when I was at two weeks, I was anxious and bitchy.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I identify with you at the  two week mark.  But there can be other reasons recovery is difficult.  My surgeon says he invites Therapists once a year to a meeting that covers what therapists should be doing to help in recovery.  The key word is invite.  Some don't come and recently he heard problems with one of the therapists.  So he called him and this therapist told the Doctor, I understand that is your method, but I am going to use my own methods.  This doctor told this therapist he would report him and not send any of his patients there, plus it is illegal to do something that is against the doctors orders.  The patient was me and the therapist was the first one I went to.  I quit there and am now going to a decent therapist who follows what my surgeon says is the right and best way to increase ROM.  Just a word to the wise to be sure your therapist isn't making things worse.  And yes, I am about to start swimming as well. Hallelluyah

• Posted

Wow that is kinda shocking! The therapist won't follow doctors orders? Who do these PTs think they are? For real. I only went once and it was such a horrible and painful experience I think it set me back a few weeks. I only had torn meniscus but I was crying at therapy and the whole way home. Went to my Primary doctor not the surgeon the next day and he was upset with what they had put me through and said no weight bearing on the leg. That made a huge difference in my recovery and I realized I had to go at my own pace not theirs. I continued to do the ROM exercises at home. They pushed me way too hard. May I ask what they did that made you call the doctor? I hope he does report that PT and spare others from what you went through. Prayers for a good recovery. Thank you for sharing your story.

• Posted

Ya, my surgeon says these must be people who go to sleep at a Holiday Inn Express and wake up thinking they know everything.  I think they just need to have their little fifedoms, power and control over people.  It started when the pt aid, older lady, took my leg and bent it till I was trying hard not to cry out, groaning and so on, 14 days Post op, and at some point I did nearly scream.  She said, "It's okay to scream.  We've had people scream so loud, the next door clinic have come down the hall to see if something is wrong."  She said this must be done or you will need MUA or they'll have to open your knee again....(fear tactics so I'd submit).  It was like total punishmet for landing in a PT clinic that had some sort of idea that therapy had to be brutal for the sake of causing pain.  Obviously this removed any opportunity to do exercises for myself because they left me so sore and  their visits were scheduled one right after another so there was no recooping before repeating the same tactics.  I went back because I thought this older lady was just out of order.  But the senior therapist did the same thing, even had me exercise with 3 lb. weights on my ankle 16 days post op.  

Not knowing if another place would do differently I had come to the conclusion I had to quit and manage on my own.  My husband sees the same surgeon and in his appointment he talked mostly about what was happening to me.  They had to talk me into going to a different clinic and I'm glad I did because the PT there is reasonable and has helped me alot.  So I would say anyone getting a TKR needs to go to the free classes to be informed, (I wasn't ) So they don't get involved with the wrong people who think they can maintain their own agenda regardless of how much harm they are actually doing.

I heard about someone who submitted to this kind of radical approach and as they were severely bending the patient's knee they heard a loud pop.  Sure enough, snapped something and it WASN'T scar tissue.  I would have sued them and they would have had to pay for the next repair they had to have b ecause of the therapist.

• Posted

They make people scream?? Oh my gosh! You were on the verge of screaming from pain? That is unacceptable and frankly inhumane!! Could you hurt someone so badly they would cry out? On a regular basis? My mind is blown!! Totally. You poor thing. I'm so sorry for your experience. Wow. I'm just shocked that this is their way of helping people. They should be shut down. In freaking believable.

• Posted

Strange thing is they were good with my 86 year old mom who I took to them three different time periods for 6 weeks of strengthening exercises each time.  But for them to "help" someone after surgery, I don't know what they are thinking.  I'm in my 60's and not an athlete.  Maybe a 40 y.o. could deal with them.  I just don't know.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.