You are what you eat

Posted , 7 users are following.

Has anyone else noticed that they have more energy after eating certain foods? I have friend who improved her diet and it has increased her energy levels so started to do the same. For example instead of sandwich and cup of tea for lunch I now have plate of homemade soup with sandwich with protein in it (chicken, turkey, cheese etc) and tomato, avacado, cress, lettuce etc with glass of water and feel like I have a boost of energy after I've eaten it and often manage a walk or other activity afterwards. If I just had the sandwich and tea I felt no different after eating it at all.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Diet is definitely important and can make a huge difference to my energy levels!

Our bodies need adequate balance of nutrients to enable energy efficiency.

The basis of nutrition for energy makes sense if you consider the stone-age diet.

• Posted

Totally agree with you. I used to feel lightheaded and drained all the time before and just eat whatever was easy to have to give me a boost eg tea and biscuit but this just quickly raises your sugar levels then they drop quickly making you feel more tired than before. Am now trying to eat more protein in my diet and have more wholegrains which balance your sugar levels better. Still like my chocolate at night though to cheer myself up!!
    • Posted

H Elaine,

I'm at present eating more raw foods : salads, seeds, fruit. I was really disappointed to see I need to drop about 2 stones in weight at a recent hospital appointment. I don't eat meat or fish, dairy or wheat and before cfs/me entered my life, had good energy levels. I am presently needing to rest more and spend alot of time housebound.

I often feel my energy raise a little after my salad and try not to use it up on pointless things.

Regarding the chocolate, I eat dark rich chocolate which Is higher in nutrients and lower In calories and sugar, if that helps.

Hope the new diet helps long term for you.

Best wishes

Beverley

• Posted

I've found it more difficult to digest raw foods since I've been ill so tend to cook more things. Have noticed this week if I have a protein with my between meal snacks I feel better. I had some live yoghurt with my fruit in the morning and had more energy after eating it. Also tried grapes with a bit cheese and sugar levels didn't dip like they usually do if I just eat grapes. If you don't have dairy nuts are a good source of protein too. I usually have 2 squares of light and dark chocolate as I know dark is better for you but prefer milk!! I must be doing something right this week - have been for a 30 min walk and don't feel too bad. That's the furthest I've walked for ages! Should really have hoovered but it's a nice day - I've used my energy to do something I enjoy instead - something wish I'd learnt years ago!!!

• Posted

Hi Elaine,

That's fantastic re the energy and 30 mins walk. Hope it keeps up.

B

• Posted

I totally agree! But I have always been healthy, I don't drink pop, don't eat can food or junk food, used to work out 4 days a week! Run, walk, boot camp classes etc etc! All my meals are home made ( I do work 40 hrs a week and have a kid at home). And still got CFS!!☹️ I have started to walk short distances everyday now after trying traditional Chinese medicine! For me this is like walking a marathon and I feel so so good. Take care.
    • Posted

Well done for keeping your job going I had to give mine up. Am definitely going to improve diet. I have noticed I feel better if I have homecooked food but don't always have the energy cook things from scratch all the time. Might things about cooking bigger portions and freezing it. Walking does get easier. I went from being in bed for about a year with glandular fever and hardly able to walk from being able to walk 30 mins most days but it took me a year to do it. On really good days I even managed 50 mins but seem to have had a really bad relapse over the winter so am determined to improve again. Managed a 30 min walk today -- really pleasef with myself though might pay for it tomorrow.
  • Posted

No. Eating often makes me worse. I do eat because you have to don't you?
    • Posted

That's a shame you feel eating is making you worse. I feel awful if I don't eat enough so have small meals throughout the day to try and keep my energy levels up. If I try and eat I big meal though I struggle to finish it and feel really tired afterwards - probably using uo too much energy digesting it!
  • Posted

During the first years of my ME/CFS, eating protein made a huge difference. When I went to restaurants, I'd be sure to order appetizers with protein so that I'd have good energy for the rest of the meal. I also carried around small cans of tuna for quick energy boosts. 
    • Posted

That's really interesting. Thought my diet wasn't too back - was eating lots of fruit and veg but have never really thought about protein until recently. Probably only used to sometimes eat protein once at lunch and at night. Am definitely going to try and increase my protein from now on, did that this week and feel my energy levels are more stable rather than up and down. Have been looking into different sources of protein (probably usually only eat mostly chicken!) so am going to try and increase things like fish (tinned tuna is really good idea), more eggs, nuts, cheese, yoghurt and milk (realised it has protein too) and see if it makes a difference. Will try and have it regularly throughout the day. Thanks very much for the advice!!  
  • Posted

Hi yes I have suffered for 5 years now, and after getting so fed up with meds and doctors I decided to go holistic!! It's been the best decision in my life! She has actually saved me from being rock bottom to now looking forward to life!! I got the Vega machine allergy test done, I am wheat, rye, gluten, yeast , barley , alcohol intolerances , since cutting out my diet , what a transformation! I now researched what natural anti inflammatory foods are good, only been doing that 3 days and what a difference in my joints!! I used to take high blood pressure tabs, pain killers anti depressants!! I now take none off them!! I URGE YOU ALL TO SEEK HELP WITH DIET.... I paid £48 to be tested, this woman has seriously saved my life! Xxx
    • Posted

That is definitely looking into. I know some foods seem to help me but others make me tired - it could be something in them like wheat, gluten,etc. Really good idea looking into natural anti inflammatory foods - I     get a lot of pain in joints too. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.