Young Adult Male w/ High Prolactin, Low Libido

Posted , 4 users are following.

After months and months of doctor visits, multiple blood tests, an MRI, im exactly where I started. For starters, im an 18-year- old male who’s never had any other medical problems up until this point. About a year and a half ago, I noticed that my sex drive and energy had gotten so low, it had become a problem. I noticed how little sex intrigued me compared to what it used to just a few years ago. I also noticed I had very little energy to do anything, and how little emotion I was experiencing. I finally saw a doctor for it, and blood tests were done. Everything was normal, except for my testosterone. It came back a very low 400. I was then sent to do even more blood tests, and they also showed I had high prolactin with the low T. I was then sent for an MRI in search of a tumor, which came back clean. My doctor then made me do one last blood test before prescribing any medication, and it showed a very **slight** elevation in my T, prolactin was still the same. Now, my doctor will not perscribe me any medication and says we’re in a “wait and watch” period. This is inscridibly frustrating for me and I’d honestly try anything to help me get my libido back and energy. What can I do to lower my prolactin and increase my libido and testosterone?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

To answer some questions, I am not on any medications and never have been. My prolactin is just abnormally high, which I believe is the sole cause for my low T and low libido. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
  • Posted

Cabergoline is the magic pill that brought down my prolactin, though that was due to a tumor. It’s worth discussing it’s use with your doctor while under his close supervision.
    • Posted

My doctor isn’t going to perscribe me any medication, so I’m pretty much on my own unless I get worse.
  • Posted

High P + low T points to some kind of pituitary problem. You really need to be referred to an endocrinologist. You need to make a nuisance of yourself until that happens. Ask to allocated to another GP. Change practices. Your case is clearly outside the usual run-of-the-mill and a general practitioner can't expect to know everything about everything, it is not humanly possible. Even as it is, the typical number of pituitary disease patients seen in an average  GP's career is one - you are it.

• Posted

I'm sorry you're going through this, as someone else said an endocrinologist would have alot more knowledge in this area. You could look up natural supplements and foods which lower prolactin, I've heard vitamin B6 can and others though not sure how effective. It seems to come up on bodybuilder sites as bodybuilding can cause high prolactin. I was also told by Dr that high stress levels raise prolactin alot. Hope you can get some help.

• Posted

Hi there I understand what your going through as I'm a male 44 yrs old and my problems started In August Last year 2017 with a 7mm Pituitary Tumor  saw neurosurgeon and did the 6 months watch an wait  .March 2018 this year Saw neurosurgeon and said Tumor has disappeared with no medication although I mentioned all symptom's like Tiredness

Headache

Unexplained hair growth or loss

Weight changes

Erectile dysfunction

Growth of breast tissue in men

Decreased interest in sex, 

Joint pain and a few other symptom's  I still Have High Chloride levels and Sodium Levels so I see a endocrinologist next month so Hopefully I get answers 

• Posted

Get checked for low cortisol, the joint pain added to the other symptoms leads me to think it's either low testosterone with high prolactin or low cortisol (adrenal insufficiency), possibly Addisons disease.

• Posted

If you're still looking for advice, I recommend getting a second opinion. My symptoms started pretty much the same way, and I got the same response, which probably delayed getting it fixed for almost 8 years. Seeing an endocrinologist often requires a referral from another doctor, and even then the wait is long. Call the endocrinologist office and ask about seeing his PA instead, if you can't get in use Google maps to look up mens health clinics. These are often Urologists which are much easier to get an appointment with and specialize in treating sexual dysfunction and prostate issues. Whoever you see, ask for a full pituitary function panel which is about 8 vials of blood drawn to test all hormones. If you do have a pituitary problem, the urologist can give you the referral to the endochronologist, if it's only low T he can give you hormone replacement therapy or get you to the right place for treatment. The Dr.s at the men's health clinics have generally been much more open to you suggesting your own treatment options, at least in my experience.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.