Young age, varicose veins susceptibility

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi, i have problem with my legs, i have 23 and i'm not overweight i think i'm active. i already have treatment - sclerotherapy on one leg and now it's ok. Recently i sign up at the gym and i saw that if i'm do e.g squats or stand long time, some veins on my second leg, near tibia are getting protrusion and soft when touching. so i guess it's early stage of varicose vein.

Now i wonder what to do, wear some commpresion on leg while being on the gym and everything will be fine? or just let go going to gym.

Regardssmile

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tony!

Some people seem to get varicose veins, and others never do. I noticed my first varicose veins at 21 when I was standing a long time every day in teaching class.

Our oldest son is an elite athlete. He routinely puts his legs up the wall as he lays on the floor after his runs. He wears compression socks at night. He had some issues with leg swelling and pain which led to him increasing his potassium and sodium following his workouts. It helped a lot.

I had vein ablation two years ago with the shots to eliminate spider veins. My spider veins are back and I have since had two total knee replacements.

ELEVATING my legs like my son does REALLY helps even though I am not an athlete.

Watch out for any severe pain. This sometimes can be DVT or blood clot.

Those with varicose veins often have "incompetent valves". Blood has trouble getting back up the leg and swelling ensues. The compression hose/stockings help those valves play nice!

Putting my feet up when I am watching TV helps, too.

I hope this has helped you.

• Posted

Tony,

Wearing compression is great when working out. CEP and SIGVARIS make medical grade compression for athletes. It is actually more beneficial that just for veins, the compression holds your muscles in place and help reduce lactic acid build up (by assisting the venous return).

Do you suffer pain in your legs during menstruation? Usually this will be in the back of the thigh or knee?

• Posted

i'm man so i don't have problem with menstruationsmile but i don't have any pain, just visual effects. i didin't mentioned but i meant trening in gym with weights. so you are telling that if i wear compression at gym, potential varicose veins shouldn't developed? becouse i can't find clearly answer about this.

• Posted

Lol, I apologize! Women can have pelvic congestion syndrome that is why I was asking. If you are very muscular what you consider a varicose vein may actually be a normal vein. It is hard to tell without examining first hand.
    • Posted

haha no problem. i have a lot of visable  vein all over my body but this i think is little bit diffrent. i will buy compression and observe it. if it change i will visit again doctor.

forget to ask, my legs are very skinny, i read some articles and is it true that developing better  legs muscle can even prevent varicose vein ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.