Young and high blood pressure

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All

Just been diagnosed with high blood pressure, readings from today was 140/110 and 135/120 and 140/115 so DR has decided to put me on Ramipril 2.5mg to start off. I am 31 years old and 20 stone, currently on Slimming World and lost 8lbs in last 2 weeks, DR advised to keep following the slimming world plan.

All blood tests came back fine, she has advised me I am young, fit and healthy and therefore should be no problem with the medication, got to have a blood test in 6 weeks time to test my kidney function and to wether they need to alter the dosage up.

Can I ask has anyone been on Ramipril and if so did you get any side effects??

DR said it's rare for side effects, apart from light headed for first few weeks and a dry cough

Please any advice would be grateful as I am a very anxious person and hate taking tablets!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Congratulations on the weight loss so far Donna. I'm sure it will do the trick once you've got yourself down to a reasonable weight, or at least improve the situation so you end up having to take a lower dose.

I can't comment on side-effects as I've never taken BP medication. My own BP went up a bit after the menopause. Not as high as yours, but at a steady 150/90 my doctor was starting to make medication noises. I was only slightly overweight at 10st 10lb (I'm 5ft 2in) but losing 11lb brought my BP back into normal range. In the intervening 20-odd years I've lost another half stone, and my BP is only just beginning to creep up again - which is not unexpected at my age.

• Posted

I have been taking Rimipril for 7 days. For the last 3 days have had really bad heartburn despite being on ppi (prescribed for excess acid which causes heartburn)

This has made it very difficult to sleep. I would be interested to know if anyone else has had this problem,

• Posted

Thank you for all your comments.

I've not started them yet, I will be doing on Saturday.

When does everyone take there's? Morning, midday or night time?

• Posted

Oh dear! Was hoping you wouldn't say you were on Ramipril. I had excruciating pain in my legs, felt like my veins were about to burst, the pain was such that I felt close to vomiting. I had to come off them, they are cheap nasty pills, often one of the first ones they put you on, probably full of nasty fillers. Not saying you will get those symptoms, but if you do, you'll know what's causing it. I also had a really sore, dull ache in my stomach and loose bowel movements and cramps. Ditched them, not on anything and still have high BP, but feel much better off the meds than in them. I'm going to do it the natural way and eat foods with a high potassium/ low sodium ratio.

• Posted

Thank you for your comment.

Surely a doctor wouldn't prescribe them if they were no good??! I trust my doctor as she is one of the best, so we will see how they go with me. I suppose they can effect everyone in different ways like all tablets.

I'm sure I won't be on them for too long, once my weight drops.

• Posted

They will bring down your BP, but they are cheap and nasty with fillers. Doctors prescribe many drugs that are harmful. My partner was prescribed steroids when he had diverticulitis and this lead to him having a perforated bowel. The steroids caused constipation, which has to be avoided if you have diverticulitis. The doctor realised this when it was too late. My partner now has a stoma bag and a massive hernia that affects his everyday life, he has never been the same since. Anyway enough about him, wish you the best of luck on your meds, hope they work for you. 👍😁

• Posted

Ramipril has made me feel alive again.

Whilst the side effects for me have been annoying they are slowly disappearing.

High Blood pressure is a serious issue and not to be ignored. Also diet and lifestyle can't always cure the issue. Definitely helps but being young with blood pressure is concerning and if you've been put on medication it's because it's for the best.

I'm also too young but my heart will be in terrible shape in 5/10 years if I don't take medication to help make things easier for my heart now

Stick with it and see how you go before worrying yourself too much about side effects

• Posted

Thank you

I am worried and my anxiety don't help, but I know the meds will help and I would never come off them without my DR telling me too.

I bought myself a blood pressure monitor for home use and I find that is helping my anxiety.

Blood pressure readings today:

157/88

145/93

147/98

• Posted

Donna, those readings aren't massively high - though definitely higher than they should be for someone your age.

Don't get anxious about it. I'm sure that with weight loss, general lifestyle improvements and a minimum dose of medication you'll soon get it down to normal. Try the meds your doctor has prescribed, but look up the side-effects on-line as well. (There are plenty of reputable sites.) If you do start getting side-effects you feel you can't cope with, you need to go back to your doctor and tell her.

As a former NHS nurse, I'm afraid I'm inclined to agree with Gillian's comments about some doctors - especially if you're in the UK, where more and more cost-cutting measures are being imposed on GP practices. However, not all of them are like that. Many are prepared to work with patients to find the best solution, but it's also up to the patient to start the dialogue.

• Posted

Hi Donna, yes I suffer anxiety also so I know how you feel! But try not to worry. Have you had any bloody tests done? If not, I would ask your doctor for full bloods. Sometimes high bp is caused by something else underlying.

I was getting readings up to 150 as well. 80-120 is the normal and the goal. Last week I got my first reading ever of 113/79 and I gotta tell you I felt like a new person! Not tired, not struggling when walking to and from work etc and that's thanks to the ramipril

The first week was the most uncomfortable with side effects but for young people there tends to be much less side effects on ramipril than for people above 40 +

Relax, try some yoga or meditation youtubes if you struggle to relax. Keep your mind busy it helps with the anxiety!

Stay positive

• Posted

Thanks everyone.

Day one of the Ramipril and no side effects, whooo!!

Me and hubby going on a date night tonight, but no drink for me as I don't want to risk it smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.