Young female, dizzy all the time, unfocused, not vertigo, history of carcinoid tumour

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

For the last month or so I have been experience dizzy spells, I can't focus, blurred vision and I am so tired when I haven't done anything strenuous. I just had my eyes tested and they are all ok. I went to doctors for what I thought was vertigo, as I have had this numerous times before, but this time the medication hasn't helped at all. I have tested negative to pregnancy and blood test have just pointed out that i have low iron- which I have always had. 

Has anyone else experienced this? I have had vertigo before as I said but medication usually relieves it. Doctors are wanting to book an MRI, however I had a ct scan on my head back in June 2015 and nothing was picked up. 

I also feel full really easy, and in July had my appendix taken out in which they found a carcinoid tumour, no treatment needed. 

I have lost 5kg in the last year (without trying) but I don't feel hungry a lot of the time. 

Thank you- I would love to hear if anyone else is experiencing the same thing!!! 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I would have the MRI they are two different tests that look at two different things. They would be able to see tumors or other masses with MRI. Then u can go from there and do other tests to find where dizziness is coming from. It's a long process and many tests just find out what is causing dizziness. Good luck. I know how u feel been dealing with dizziness for 8 months just started therapy
    • Posted

Hi Kellie 

Thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate it. So I am assuming MRI's pick up something different as opposed to a CT? They thought I may have had a tumour in my middle ear due to having vertigo more than 3 times alone this year. I only get it when I travel.   Due to cancer stuff I really am worried about continuously being exposed to radiation. Yes thats what my doctor said. I am trying to just do the exercises if that helps at all!! Sorry to hear that, I can't believe how much it effects daily activities: / Take care x

• Posted

Hello Natika,

I am sorry to hear about the tumour, yet glad to read that no treatment was required. I hope u r getting regular bloodwork. Since July 2015, I too experience the dizzy spells, vertigo, nausea & I have low iron, low blood pressure & lost 5 kg as well but in 1 month timespan. For me though, I also experienced severe headaches on a daily basis which is why I did not feel like eating. For 2 months, i was basically nibbling here & there & forced myself to drink. Once I was prescribed meds for my headache and muscle relaxant for my head & neck, the nausea began to disappear & my appetite is coming back although not the way it was before. CT scan was fine with me too, waiting now for MRI on Sunday.

What medication did u previously take for your vertigo?

Do u experience headaches/migraines?

Low iron definitely will make u dizzy & weak, so hard to tell. I'm sure u r keeping in close contact with ur family dr. to rule out anything bizarre.

I think I am dealing with silent migraines but am still in the investigative stages. 

Please take care smile

• Posted

Hi Marie! 

Thank you soooo much for your reply, you are describing everything I am feeling daily. Its so hard to keep a smile on your face isn't it!! I thought MRI and CT would pick up the same things, but I am assuming they work differently? I just hate continuously exposing myself to radition. 

I am usually on stemtil but wasn't helping after the 4th day so I am just off it until I can work out what is wrong. I have headaches maybe one or twice a week, not severe and Panadol relieves it. They have put me on iron supplements to see if I see an improvement, so not sure how to give it until I go back...

I haven’t heard of that before! Hopefully you have some answers soon!! smile

• Posted

Hi Natika,

CT or MRI? It depends on what part of your body your doctor is interested in and the reason for the exam. Another type of MRI is a MRA which is used to look closely at problems with blood vessels. So it all depends.

Thanks for your info re meds. Take care.

• Posted

Hi! 

Thanks heaps for your info, they want to do an MRI, CT was to see if there was a little tumour in my middle ear which there was nothing. 

I will book a MRI if these symptoms continue. Thanks! smile 

• Posted

Hello Natika,

I just want you to know that MRI's do not expose you to any radiation, unlike CT scans and X-Rays.  I would definitely follow through with the MRI, and hopefully you will at least find an answer to your problems.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Nanci! 

Thank you so much for letting me know that, I am just so confused about it all! I haven't done a lot of my own research though I guess.

Thanks again smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.