Young female with MONTHS of chest pain. I am exhausted. Please help.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I’ve never done one of these, but I am desperate and scared. I’ll just start with a background. I am 20 y/o female. Diagnosed with anxiety & took Zoloft for five years. have had iron deficiency anemia for years (since I was maybe 12?). NO family history of heart problems. Mom and great grandma had diabetes. Had mild asthma as a child and carry around an inhaler when feeling uneasy (somehow helps my anxiety).  I have struggled with anemia for a lot of my young life and have pretty much became used to it, until early May of this year. At first I started having  VERY mild heart pain, just dull and lasted a few seconds, once or twice a week. It happened at any time, but mostly while at rest. I gave it a week and decided that it would be best for me to quit taking zoloft, that maybe it would stop the chest pain. So I quit. Weeks later, pain was still there. I felt amazing finally being free from zoloft but the fear of my chest pains just made me want to get back on my anxiety medicine to numb myself. June 18 a close friend of mine died and that entire week was a very terrible week for me. The chest pains continued but did not get worse at all, even through my panic attacks. They didn’t change up until a few weeks ago, August 1, when I had my check up with my doctor. I told her about my chest pain and she listened to my heart. She told me that I have a very small innocent murmur due to my anemia and that it will resolve itself once I take more iron. She did an EKG to be safe and it came out normal. She ordered blood tests which I got done a few days ago, and keep in mind I’ve been taking supplements called “Blood Builders” for the past few weeks, and they’ve raised my iron levels better than anything in the past years. So the blood tests came back and showed that my iron levels were now NORMAL!!!, BUT, my hemoglobin and hemocrotit were still low. She told me to keep taking the iron (can someone tel me why? Idk) anyways. My concern is... if my iron is normal, if my anemia is better than it’s EVER been, why...WHY am I having this chest pain??? Since a few days after my doctors appointment I have had the chest pain every. Single. Day. It’s mainly in the left side but it’s beginning to be on the right side a lot as well now. I can feel it in my sternum, my back, my LEFT ARM & WRIST, under my left breast, and sometimes on my lower right chest. It can be stabbing or dull. When it’s stabbing, it’s mostly under my left breast. It does NOT get worse with breathing, although I have felt that way a few times ( but I’m sure it’s just me freaking out ). The weird thing is, if I press hard on the area of pain with my fingers when it’s happening, the pain goes away. I took aspirin for two days to see if it would help and it did, but the third day it didn’t. I have taken ANTACIDS, Advil, nothing helps. Sometimes when I burp it slightly helps the discomfort, but most times it doesn’t. I really do not understand it, and I have spend days and weeks staying up crying, searching forums for anyone that knows what could be wrong with me. I do not want to die at age 20. I Just want to live a life without zoloft and be confident in my health. I can not afford another multi-thousand dollar ER bill just for them to tell me I’m fine. Please if anyone else has experienced this, please let me know how you resolved it. Thank you so much. 

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Have you had a chest CT?
    • Posted

How about a D-dimer blood test? The reason I am asking is that I had similar problems and  I was diagnosed with multiple pulmonary emboli earlier this year. Have you ever taken a combined contraceptive pill, smoked or had any operations or an accident before you had the problems? Or had a sedentary lifestyle or have anyone in the family who have had blood clots, stroke or DVT?
    • Posted

My great grandmother had two strokes, that’s about it. What’s a multiple pulmonary emboli? If I may ask
    • Posted

I’ve thought about that but the pain mostly doesn’t be correlate with my breathing, and I have no cough
    • Posted

I didn’t get breathing problems or a cough at the beginning with my PEs just chest pains and palpitations. There is a blood test called D-dimer to test for clots. If the chest pains get worse it is something to think about anyway. It is just when you said you had chest pain in both front and back, down your arm and wrist, it sounds very familiar to what I had. If you get any of these symptoms; pins and needles in your hand, cramp in your leg, pain going across your chest into your armpit, burning sensation in your lungs, prickly feelings in your lungs, feeling like you can’t take a deep breath in, just ask for the D-dimer blood test.
    • Posted

How long did your symptoms last before you found out what it was? 
    • Posted

Years! To treat the symptoms over the years I gave up caffeine, sugar, I took beta blockers, took antidepressants and anti anxiety tablets. I tried everything! Sometimes the symptoms would get a bit better but they always came back with a vengeance! The antidepressants I took really helped my symptoms but I put on loads of weight with them so I had to stop them, they were called paroxetine. They really slowed my heart down and lowered my blood pressure, but I still felt anxiety on them, which I didn’t the first time I took them, but I think that was the PEs making me feel anxious. 

I am not saying this is what you definitely have, but look out for the symptoms I have listed and if you feel you are getting any of them, take the blood test. I just wish someone had told me about the blood test a bit sooner because my quality of life over the years really deteriorated.

• Posted

Wow. Honestly, thank you so much. I have an appointment with my doctor in a week and will keep things updated.
  • Posted

Firstly you are not alone I have a post on here with exactly the same problem but mine lasting 4 months, I’ve been so convinced the pain was my heart I even spent a week in hospital I’ve had all the tests done a coronary angiogram an echocardiogram and a cardiac mri which were all normal but I’m still terrified it’s my heart I can’t shake the fear atall, I have been diagnosed with Costochondritis that can feel very much like heart pain if you look that up if not then stomach issues can often cause left chest pain I have something wrong with my stomach and I’m due to find out what after an endoscopy in a couple of days I have bad acid etc so I’m thinking if it’s not the Costochondritis then it must be my stomach but I can promise you there is so many causes of chest pain and the heart is totally unrelated mainly stomach, plus anxiety is the most vile thing ever can cause so many pains even chest pain I know it’s horribe sweet and believe me your not alone but you will be fine and you will get to the bottom of this sending you my best wishes and hugs if you’d like me email just let me know and we’ll talk things through a little more xx
    • Posted

I also have digestion problems, my doctor makes me take probiotics everyday because she says I have too much “bad” bacteria, so maybe it could be related? I’m not sure because I’ve had stomach problems since I was a baby. Thank you so much for replying, is there anything that helps your pain go away? 
    • Posted

Yes it could definitely be related I’m convinced that my stomach is causing this chest pain but I’ll find out exactly what on Tuesday as I’m having an endoscopy could be an ulcer or gastritis or even Gerd causing it, as it feels like a burn kind of pain, and no

Absolutely nothing takes away the pain, I’ve tried ibuprofen paracetamol etc how about your pain does anything take it away? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.