Young hypertension at the age of 27.. Extremely depressed

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was diagnosed with high blood pressure few months ago. I have not started taking medications yet. I was asked to carry out few tests and all of them turned out to be normal except marginally high cholesterol levels and grade II fatty liver. My weight is 75 kg and height 5' 9". Everytime I vist the doctor my bp levels are high. It varys from 140/90 to 170/100. But when I monitor the bp at home from bp monitors, most of the time it is normal, most of the time it is well below 130/80. Average is around 120/70. Bp monitor is 'OMRON HEM-8712'. I used to be a football player at high school and university and this is the last health problem I expected in my life. Doctor asked me to do exercises but I'm too depressed to involve in exercises even. Please help. 

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Steve, I too get depressed about being diagnosed with High bp, now on meds which I hate!! Thing is my bp is all over the shop, like yours which is very frustrating. Do keep on with the excerise, especially if you can do it with friends as it is so good for the soul.  I might add that I have had a lot of gastric issues of the last few years, acid reflux etc and I'm sure this has an effect of my bp.  Good luck and remember you are not alone with this.

• Posted

What's up Steve like you I was diagnosed with high BP at 25 I first found out I had high BP when I was going to medica school and we were practicing BP so when I found out my whole class found out.

I've since been super depressed to this day I hate the meds I've since gone vegiterian but still in fear of checkinmt BP

Your BP I would say is white coat I get the same thing even when I check mine my hear rare goes high

• Posted

Yeah, I just cannot calm down when someone is checking my bp. At home it's quite normal when I'm checking bp myself. I first found out that I may be having elevated bp levels when I wast admitted to the ETU due to an accident. Once the put that machine on me, it had shown elevated bp levles. So, the doctor told me that I may be having high blood pressure. Since then I started worrying about my bp and everytime I go to the doctor to have my bp checked, it skyrockets. 

• Posted

Then you should not have BP checked in medical setting... Just check it at home... and ignore the reading at your doctors office.
    • Posted

Amen to that! I'd say to Steve that if you keep up this persistent, and quite pointless, worrying about your BP, you'll end up on unnecessary medication for life, with all its side effects.

Steve: you've clearly established that you don't have high blood pressure. Now stop all this. Check your BP at home once or twice a week to make sure it's still OK, live as healthy a lifestyle as you can, and forget the whole thing before a combination of health anxiety and unnecessary medication permanently wrecks your health and your life.

• Posted

Dear rocky, 

I got the 24 hour ABP test done and I have attached the summary of results. It would be a great relief if you could explain these results a bit more please. Thank you. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.