Your First Day of Costo

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello everyone!

Was wondering if anyone would like to share when and how your first flare started and what did you feel.

I believe mine started when I was doing aerobics, after a loooong time not working out, I felt like lightning electric shock in the chest, going from the shoulders down. The day after the dull pain on left side started.

Obviously thought its my heart, although docs said its not.. And my hypochondriac mind just finds it hard to believe at times.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, good quiestion, I was wondering myself.

For me it started a year ago when I had a cold/flu and thought that if I can't go out running I would just do pushups at home. Bad idea.

The pain was very very mild initially, the kind of discomfort you get when you go down with a chest infection. I felt increasingly tired, then the discomfort became a dull and constant pain that varies in intensity during the day, but it's there most of the time. Mostly on the right hand side, it can move to my shoulder blades etc. When it's really bad I can't touch the skin on my chest because it's so tender.

A year on: the pain is better and more tolerable but there most of the time. I feel it between my shoulder blades as well. Quite often it gives me a headache as well.

Had all kinds of tests but no conclusion other than it's costo and it will clear up within a few months. Well, yeah, 12 month in now.

It is hard to live with it but I am trying to be positive and concentrate on the things that go well and be grateful for the days or hours when I am not in pain.

• Posted

Mine was a slow build up as I believe working in a pub made it worse. My first proper flare ups were probably on my way to work, I remember having odd urges to unhook my bra and a restricted feeling of not being able to breathe properly but I didn't know what it was. I owuld work the first few hours of my evening shifts with my bra unhooked unde rmy uniform. It looked so strange!

I would suffer some tightness and shoulder/left chest pain once I got home so I thought it was just regular strain from working/lifting tills/heavy bottles.

The first flare up I noticed is when I was eating and my chest suddenly felt like it was seizing up. Then when I looked, my sternum was so swollen it was bascially sticking out of my chest. 

Obviously I thought I was dying from a heart attack too. Then I had a minor panic/anxiety attack. Great times.

• Posted

My symptoms are exactly like yours. 12 months on and it's still the same. I have spent a small fortune in buying bras that I think may be more comfortable. Weekends are fine as I just don't wear one. And I also feel worse after I have eaten, I have to lie flat for a while after and then it eases off. They say it will just go away by itself but I am still waiting.....

• Posted

I feel like a broken record as I have made this suggestion many times on this site but try turmeric tea. Anyone else reading this, try it too. Just go to your local grocers that is likely to sell Indian/ethnic spices and it'll be there.

Put a teaspoon or so in a cup of hot water. i've stopped measuring mine and just put whatever looks right.

The turmeric doesn't dissolve so expect a grainy bottom but that's completely fine.

Add some slices of ginger to help with inflammation and I've started putting some black pepper in it which helps the body absorb the turmeric more.

I tell you, I started drinking the tea at the beginning of September and within 3 weeks my pain had reduced by half. Now I have virtually no pain.

I'm still drinking it as I believe I have tietzes instead of costo so I have some swelling in the chest which makes the area feel tight. But I have virtually no pain. Just a tightness which makes me feel like I need to stretch.

I feel 10x better than I did even 3 months ago. It's all natural and turmeric has loads of other health benefits. It's not the nicest tasting but that's the least of my concerns. I've actually got used to it.

I rarely get flare ups that cause pain, just slight discomfort.

I also find going braless - which is easier in this weather because I just cover up with bulkier clothing - or sports bras which aren't too restricting help.

I agree, it doesn't go away by itself. I don't believe so anyway.

• Posted

Hi

My first flare was in bed, I couldn't move and it felt like I had broken ribs, that was last November and I still get it , I struggle getting out of bed due to reality horrendous pain, it takes my breath. It takes about 2 hours from getting out of bed for it to settle.

• Posted

My first symptom was stabbing pain in my ribs as though they had been broken.  This was on my right side.I don't recall doing anything that would have caused it.   Since then the pain has moved to the left side and I have had extreme chest pain on 2 different occasions where I could hardly get my breath because of the pain.  I am doing better, but still have tenderness.  Hoping that things will settle down completely.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.