Your Reasons For Going Ahead With Surgery.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

How are you all doing? Hope recoveries are going well x

I've just been been told I need a hysterectomy to stop constant bleeding. The bleeding is not excessive just a trickle constantly and I have stomach and back ache all the time. If the doc tries to do a smear I just start bleeding so they can't do one. I've had an internal ultra sound scan which showed nothing nasty going on just a tiny, tiny fibroid. I am going through the menapause at 53 and using HRT. When the consultant examined me at the hospital the pain was excruciating. I've never known anything like it and the tears streamed down my face from the pain. Then she said my best option would be a hysterectomy as the womb just bleeds when touched. This was Monday and I still have pain since the exam. Never known pain like it.

I've agreed to go ahead with surgery but just wondered what made other people decide to go ahead? I'm questioning if my symptoms are severe enough to proceed really. It seems very extreme for discomfort and bleeding. I'd be really interested in your thoughts.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kat1e, It is a shock when your told you need surgery, I wasn't expecting it either. I went to GP with dischrge and discomfort, after cans etc., was told I had a polyp which needed removing. This couldnt be done because my cervix had sealed, hence the hysterectomy.  I am now nearly 5 weeks post surgery, and although it's slow but sure recovery, I've got the satisfaction that the changes in my body will not continue,and that what discomfort I'm getting will clear, everyone is different. I don't regret for one minute having th surgery and woud say there is support out there, use your GP, and look forward to a time when you no longerhave your problems. Wishing you good luck and best wishes.

• Posted

Hi Dorothy, Thank you very much for responding. I'm pleased to hear you have no regrets at only five weeks post surgery. That in itself gives me comfort. I will take your advice and use the support network that's available. 

• Posted

Hi Kat1e,

I was bleeding heavily on and off for a while (I was 61 so way past the menapause) then I began to bleed constantly until I lost almost half my blood volume, it was found that I had stage 1A cancer so had to have hysterectomy, I don't know anything much about fibroids but can't they give you something to shrink it or even get rid of it if it is really small? Think very carefully about your options before going ahead with hysterectomy, I didn't have any other option or I wouldn't be here quite possibly.

All the best.

Phoebe

• Posted

Thank you for responding. It sounds like you've had a horrendous journey and I really hope you are on the mend now. I'm hoping it's nothing nasty. They tell me it isn't but I've only had swabs, and an ultrasound done so not convinced. Time will tell. Wishing you all the best for the future x

• Posted

I too had constant bleeding at 51, not much but enough to have to wear pads all the time. 

Then I had a hemorage, at home, that was nasty and very scary, woke up soaked through, taken straight to the hospital, 3 units of blood later, a D & C. Result was I had a endometrial cancer, very early stage thank goodness, I was told being overweight put me at higher risk for endo cancer.

10 days later had a hysterectomy, best thing that ever happened, no more bleeding, and my energy levels improved out of site once past surgery recovery period.

I had a traumatic hormonal episode, RARE, in the days following surgery, given HRT which I then stayed on an progressivly lower and lower doses for about 2 years, but take none now except for suppositries which keep things healtly down below. 

I am now 66 years, best thing ever happened, my sister agrees, she also had constant bleeding and hysterectmy done.

• Posted

Hi Lyn,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. You must have been so frightened when you hemorrhaged and then to find it was cancer.  My heart goes out to you and I hope everything is ok now? 

Your symptoms sound so much like mine are today in that just a trickle but enough to have to wear a pad all the time. I have to say that since having had that really painful internal examination last Monday my stomach seems to be growing by the day (unless I'm just eating too much) and is more achy than normal. Did you find that your stomach seemed to swell? 

I'm pleased to hear that you think it was for the best and the more I read the more I think this is the option I will take.

• Posted

My stomach was huge, Dr explained to me afterwards I had the equlavent of a five month pregnancy inside.

Internal exam was impossible, they were trying to find out in the first instance why I had the massive bleed, they throught firstly it was hormanal, and gave me lots of contraceptive pills which only made me start vomiting and then I couldn't stop, I remember they had to get the chemist in in the middle of the night to access the chemo  anti-vomiting drugs as nothing else was working.

I remember having a complete panic attack in the 10 days between D & C and pelvic clearance or hysterectomy, on the day I had a full body scan to see if the cancer was anywhere else. 

But some counselling, and my local minister of the church got through and by the 10 days mark it was a case of bring it on and get it out, sooner the better.

I still can still laugh, when a young Dr said to me it will stop you being able to have any more children at 51, I replied, I DON'T THINK SO, and I don't appreieciate being treated like I'm a complete idiot so don't assume I'm an idiot.

• Posted

After years of very heavy bleeding and excruciating pain I was advised to have the coil which I refused. I went ahead and had a uterine ablation which for a couple of months was ok but then I was in much worse pain. I went back to hospital and had a scan but was seen by a junior who said she thought I had a kidney infection even tho I could see it written (large clot) was topd an appointment for furtger scan would be sent. 5 visits to a&e later and 2 by ambulance as i was beyond coherent finally saw a consultant who listened. Within a few hours of being on admitted the clot burst. Scene from horror movie is only way i can describe it. I was advised a coil would sort things out which I refused and asked for a hysterectomy. Finally a year after that nightmare I had the op with everything removed, they found a very large fibroid which had never shown on scans. I do have problems with pain from scarring on bowel and bladder and cant take hrt. But with support from a good gp I manage the pain and have no regrets even tho during recovery there were times I did wonder what I put myself through. I'm now 4 months post op and still listen to my body if im tired I rest etc

• Posted

Hi Bellelouise,

Thank you for replying. Oh my! Boy have you been through it. How scary. My GP wanted to fit a coil but because she couldn't do the smear sent me see the cosultant and she just said there's no point in fitting the coil as she suspects it won't work for me. I'm also worried that the scan didn't  show anything. It seems quite common that it doesn't but then it transpires that there is an issue.

You are the third person to say no regrets which is really helpful. The more I learn the more I'm beginning to think this is the way forward for me. Thanks again and hope your recovery continue full steam ahead x

• Posted

Hi Kat1e

I'm 58. Still had irregular heavy periods until last summer. Missed 3, then hot flashes started. Anxiety, palpitations, fatigue etc. Started on Evorel Conti hrt patches. Since then I've had bleeds/periods and recently 4 or 5 days of trickling blood loss every two weeks. Had scans and showed small fibroids are growing. I too bleed every time I am examined. Gyne said I am feeding the fibroids with the hrt. Fibroids feed off oestrogen. She said if I stop the hrt the bleeding will stop and fibroids will shrink. That's what she recommended. But I feel so good on the hrt I am worried to stop it.  Am thinking the way forward is hysterectomy then hrt. But I don't have any pain from the fibroids, just bloating and the irregular spotting. Scared to put myself through the pain and long recovery of hysterectomy.  I still don't know what to do and am considering a second opinion.

Keep in touch and let us know how you get on x

• Posted

Hello Maisie05,

This tiny fibroid won't be causing any problems at the moment as it's so small (they tell me). My bleeding is constant and never stops. one day it can be heavy the next just a trickle. I couldn't ever imagine coming off the HRT either. The hot flushes, moods swings and depression were unbearable before I started on it. My stomach aches all the time too. 

My joints are rubbish and I had a knee replacement last year. I'm hoping the pain from the hysterectomy will be no worse than the pain I suffered after the tkr and I dealt with that

I will stay in touch and let you know how I go. It's booked for 1st Aug which isn't that far away. Yes I'm scared but I really do believe now, having done some research, that this is the right decision for me.

• Posted

I don't understand how 1 tiny fibroid is causing all this?   You mentioned you're in menapause, right.  Isn't the bleeding supposed to stop at that point, and all your fibroids shrink? Could the HRT/hormones you're taking be causing the problem?  Maybe stop the HRT and see if the pain resolves itself?   Fibroids feed on hormones, so it's probably the HRT.

Honestly, if it's just one tiny fibroid, they could just remove the one fibroid via a myomectomy, and leave your uterus.  Get a second opinion.  I got a partial hysterectomy at the beginning of the year, but that was only because I had like 20+ fibroids.    It was also the last resort for me, because I had two prior myomectomies and the fibroids kept coming back.  I didn't want to keep having surgeries every 5-7 years for fibroids, or keep worrying about whether or not they would come back.  

I just wanted to take care of the problem one and for all.   My doctor had told me if I had just one or two fibroids, he wouldn't have had a problem doing another myomectomy, but since my uterus was producing so many, there was a strong possiblity they would return after the 3rd time as well. 

I hope things work out, and you get better soon!

• Posted

Hi lisa48917,

They have said the fibroid is very little and not causing any issues. It was picked up during an ultrasound scan. I'm early menopause and it used to be that I'd have months of no bleeding with occassional spotting but now it's constant bleeding and pain. I've tried to weigh up the pros and cons and I believe I am making the right decision to go ahead. 

How did you feel after surgery? Did you feel it had been worth it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.