Your thoughts... There's no such thing as too much sleep

Posted , 4 users are following.

Different researchers have made this point In recent times. Your brain decides how much sleep it needs and wake you when it's done.

I broke out of my first bout of CFS a year ago after staying in bed one night for 16 hours.  We Just moved and now it's back and worse.  So I'm wondering, is lots of sleep a helpful treatment?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Nick, 

Your CFS is not irreversible but you need to take major steps to adjust for the house-move. 

I have moved house 4 times with this illness which I had long before it was diagnosed - and it is just about the most fatiguing thing I've experienced. Certainly it is known to be among the top emotional, mental and physical strains in life! I am therefore not in the least surprised to hear what you report, though obviously saddened.

If sleep helped you before, I think that you should definitely do it again. Absolutely let your body dictate your sleep needs. It is important to act in full agreement with your partner and family so they understand why you are gonna be out of action for a while. I would suggest you take some annual leave, just totally slob out for at least a week. Do NOTHING, just give in to it, enjoy the sunshine and be lazy. 

After a while, when you begin to feel a little refreshed, you will have reached an equilibrium. be very careful not to jump back straight into hectic life however. There will be jobs round the house, and you probably have a career, and you need to be there for your partner. But equilibrium is not recovery with CFS. Equilibrium is where over-exertion has been balanced by rest. You might feel fine, but don't let the illness fool you: equilibrium is fragile and your body needs care. So go gently, not at full tilt and build up a nice recharge of calmness and leisure. So what if things take longer to sort? your health comes first, or you're storing up trouble for later.

God bless you in it

P

• Posted

Wow beautiful and wise words.  I think my wife will greatly benefit from reading your comments.  I'm very grateful to you!

• Posted

Hi NickDal61,

I'm not trying to be difficult (regarding philsey's comment), but some CFS is reversable (I have witnessed this with someone I used to know). I don't know if mine is or not... I've had it for the last ten years, but I continue to hope that I can get better somehow (this hope is one of my driving factors that motivates me to continue with my research on the subject and to be more positive about it in general). I have issues with my sleep, in particular in that I have non-restorative sleep, so I always feel like I haven't slept. If I sleep for more than nine hours though, I feel twice as bad and the same occurs if I sleep for less than seven and a half hours, so I'd say you can definitely sleep for too long or too little.

Something I learnt when I attended a CFS clinic, which I found very useful was similar to what philsey said in that it's very easy to think 'I feel like I've got extra energy today, so I should do more'. They said that if that happens, you should still only do what you had originally intended and then just relax. This energy then becomes available to aid your body in recovering. I've been using this technique for the last few months and it has made a difference in my day to day life.

• Posted

We are not in disagreement here. So many types of M.E.  I have the gradual decline form which began way back in the mists of adolescence or earlier. The average length of fatigue illness (even with the most severe symptoms) is 7 years, though some have it for 1 year and make a full recovery - and others never really get better. I am in the latter category but see no reason why Nick should be, according to his description.
  • Posted

Re Sockpim, CFS may or may not be reversible, it depends. The umbrella of CFS/ME covers a range of fatigue illnesses, most of which are not a life sentence. I think we have to live daily with the belief that the way we live our lives CAN influence the course of the illness otherwise we would become totally discouraged. I have long term M.E. - about 25 years, and early on when it was undiagnosed (or called yuppie-flu) I had some 'crashes' which I came through and managed to get on with my life. Your message sounded to me exactly like one of those 'turns' I used to have (before I got Shingles and decline became exponential.) So I'm not a prophet nor the son of a prophet but I think decisive intervention now followed by living your normal life with great care should be enough to prevent you having a third spell.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.