Zero Prednisone achieved - maybe spoke too soon??. . . .

Posted , 19 users are following.

In a previous discussion here, I speculated on whether continuing on a really low dose of Prednisone (as opposed to stopping completely) may have some protective effect re. preventing a recurrence of PMR. . . As far as I know there is no evidence to support this but maybe????

After 4 and a half years on Pred. and reducing very carefully and slowly, I decided to stop my 0.25mg. on alternative days and I felt confident to finally say goodbye  to it altogether in Jan.  Then followed a really savage Aussie flu' which took a few weeks to get over and left me pretty shattered but am now fine. However, just 2 weeks ago those familiar upper- arm aches started, just mild, but a cause for re-thinking . . . Could there be a link with the 'flu?

Can anyone advise me here? Should I wait and see if it gets worse OR should I start back on Pred. even at low dose? I'm not being precious about taking Pred. and I'm sure many of you would just love to be on a low dose, but my difficulty is that I also suffer from OP and Pred. is really not good for the bones. Would be grateful for any suggestions. Thanks.

J

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was on pred for 2 years  and also reduced it extremely slowly until I was off it last June. I had almost 3 pain free months until September when it returned. I had to go back on 7.5 which is now reduced again to 3.75. I also have osteopenia and would like to be off it but my rheumatologist says I may have to stay on a very low dose.  I have been able to go back to exercising for the first time in 2 years  this past month on this dose which makes me happy
    • Posted

Hi Janet, thanks for your reply. Did you just feel mild symptoms  or did you get a full-blown flare?

J

• Posted

I restarted the pred again when it became uncomfortable doing activities like raising my arms or walking.  It took a few months to initially see my rheumatologist and by then I could hardly walk and had difficulty just getting dressed because of the pain, I did not want to go there again. 
    • Posted

Thanks Janet.  So far I just have the 'achey' arms, otherwise ok. But it just could be the 'slippery slope' . . 

I wouldn't worry so much about Prednisone. if I had osteopenia like yourself but my OP is severe, though I've had no fractures. . . .  J

• Posted

I have flu at present (more a REALLY severe viral infection, I'd not pass the flu test of not being able to pick up a 50 euro note on the floor, I'd have to be dead for that). And I have a major flare feeling - and the myofascial pain syndrome, trochanteric bursitis and atrial fibrillation are all coming in to party...

At below 3mg the pred isn't doing anything detrimental to your OP that wouldn't be happening anyway. 

• Posted

Sorry to hear of your viral infection and well well done on your E50 test!

I almost failed the ' I-need -to-use-the-toilet-NOW' test. Very close shave. .  Sorry you're so ill and nothing to do but let it take it's course and keep up the fluid intake. I spent 6 days in bed absolutely unable to get up and drinking only iced water and orange juice.. . . Lost weight and wedding ring fell off!!  That may be a plus for you (effortless weight loss!) but when you're thin and loose even more weight, you look as if you're on the way out.  I'm hoping that your "major flare feeling" is a false alarm . . .but the MPS, bursitis, and AF sound awful. Fingers crossed for you and thank you for even answering. 

J  (hug).

PS. I might try 2.5mg Pred. and see if it does the job . . . .

• Posted

Aye, well, a week in bed and losing weight would be my dream. Unfortunately it can't be proper flu - I still want food although the thought of doing the work doesn't appeal...

• Posted

Do hope you soon feel much better Eileen. Spring is coming which is very cheering for us all and the lighter nights help too.
    • Posted

Get well soon Eileen. Not good with all the other symptoms you have to cope with. Keep warm and hopefully husband is waiting on you.  For you 💐

• Posted

Haha - still 6 inches of snow out there! Nothing peeping through the ground up here yet. We should have been down in the low valleys on Friday for a hospital appointment but both of us are coughing and spluttering so didn't feel like the 2 hour trip each way or spreading the bugs in a radiotherapy unit! And there it would probably have been just warm enough to sit outside for coffee!

Margaret - he has it too!!! 

• Posted

Hope you soon feel better. The current bug doing the rounds here seems to be an energy sapping cold that refuses to respond to anything but time....about three weeks in some cases.

So far I've escaped but I do live at the end of a half mile farm track.

• Posted

I suspect that is what it is - it doesn't really qualify as flu. We have only succumbed because of visiting UK cousins - he developed it here while skiing. She seems not to have - no justice...

• Posted

hi eileen get well soon  you have had a long journey. and sill find time to sort us out    best wishes 

pauline xxx

• Posted

Oh no that is bad luck. Hurry and get well to you both. Hopefully you have both been able to watch the winter olympics. 
    • Posted

I am thinking good thoughts for your recovery; and your husband's.

• Posted

Sorry to hear you've been smitten Eileen and more so that all the other achy ills are ganging up on you too. Wishing you both a speedy recovery.. 

• Posted

Hope things ease for you soon......awful how everything else kicks in as well!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.