Zig zag lines in vision

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have been having zig zag lines in my vision for a few years and they come in spurts!  I sometimes get headaches afterwards but not always.  Lately I am very forgetful as well.  Is this also due to menopause?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

yes ma'am it is. they call it ocular migraines. while the actual eyes dont hurt, just really annoying, it can bring on headaches. hope you feel better soon!

• Posted

I don't know about the zig zag vision but if I don't have it write down I don't do it! LOL!

• Posted

Are they peripheral? Like lightening flashes? Or just wiggly? If you get a headache afterwards, I would say you are having aura before migraine. But could be the viseous gel esp if it flashes..
  • Posted

Hi there!  I have the zigzag lines as well, it’s called a visual aura and it proceeds a migraine. Although they are benign it is quite scary, especially if you were trying to drive a car because sometimes it will completely block your entire vision. What I like to do is go into a dark room rub on my essential oil’s, like M grain and try to sleep it off but try not to worry about it because it’s not a serious condition to have.
  • Posted

Yes, it's a common symptom of perimenopause. Called aura's, where migraines can follow. I would get silent migraines, where I would feel a throbbing in my head but no pain. Now, that aura's have passed, I'm on a new one called Flash without Gordon. I see flashes at the corner of my eye, usually the left. Now, isn't getting old fun?

• Posted

Yes I started getting these in peri, zig zags, it normally starts by a blind spot in your eyes and proceeds to the zig zags (silent migraines) I get them monthly (usually no headache after) they only started when I entered menopause!
  • Posted

Thank you for the responses.  Yesterday i had them twice.  It is very scary.
  • Posted

Hello there

Yes, as the ladies have said it's a type of migraine. If you get it in one eye, it's an ocular migraine, if you get it in both its an aura. Both may/may not come with a headache. I've had them a few times, they're scary! When I saw my gp she said it can be caused by a peak in progesterone. They're quite common in some ladies when they're having their period. You are meant to get it checked out though Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.