Zimmer next generation lawsuits knee replacements, now I'm nervous!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Just googled my knee replacement the "Zimmer next Generation" and read about lawsuits and recalls, has anyone received this knee replacement? This is making me nervous!!

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dolores - I have the Zimmer next gen. I asked my doctor after my TNR and he wrote it down for me. I research it and I could not believe that the knee was on recall. The next time I saw my surgeon, I said how can the Mayo Clinic give me a prostectic knee that is on recall. He told me that my knee was not on recall. The company did has some problems but has been corrected. I surely felt better. Then I did more research with the number and the one I have was not on recall. So discuss it with your surgeon for a piece of mind. Take care. J-21370
  • Posted

Not got that one, but I'd be asking my surgeon if it were me.  Hopefully yours is fine though.  If there are now recalls, this MIGHT be from problems a while back that have now been rectified because recalls and lawsuits take a while to happen.

• Posted

I know mine is a Zimmer, but not sure which tpe. . I wasn't given any details of what it was.  i hope not!!!

• Posted

That is disturbing. I never thought to ask my surgeon what kind of replacement I have. I didn't even know there were different kinds, How would I find out?

Ellie

• Posted

I believe they are now all required to write down the make and number in your records, so you'll need to phone his secretary to ask.  I asked mine last time I went for the pre-op.

• Posted

Just found this, googling - might help but I'm sure your surgeon (or his secretary) is the one to reassure you that yours is fine:

Knee products that have raised concerns include:

Zimmer: NexGen LPS, CR and MIS; Natural Knee System

Stryker: Scorpio CR and PS components*; Duracon Total Knee*; Unicompartmental Knee System*

Smith & Nephew: Oxinium Genesis II and Profix II*; Journey Uni Tibial Baseplate*

Biomet: Vanguard CR*

*Denotes products that have been partially or completely recalled

• Posted

Thanks so much. I am going to look through all of my knee paperwork and see if it is there. Otherwise I will  all his office.

And while I have your ear:  I have developed horrible looking veins on the TKR leg, On the side of the knee and all the way down.  I have spider veins but nothing like this. I am not a spring chicken (69) so I am not sure if these new veins are knee related.

Has this happened to you ?

Ellie

• Posted

Interesting you saying that!  I've got really bad spider veins on both legs but did think the other day that they are worse, but they're actually worse on BOTH legs.   I'm 67.  Mine are behind the operated knee and down the outside of the calf on the operated knee. 

• Posted

I totally get your concerns. I have a zimmer and read the article on the law suits like two weeks of having my TRK. I nearly stopped breathing on the spot.

I had to get my knee cap removed back in november last year. Nothing to do with the implant. I had another surgeon to do the operation he said the implant is perfect. I was ok after hearing that.

I think its the zimmer implant from awhile ago. The company has since corrected the problem.

Jod

• Posted

Thanks for your feedback Jodi! Maybe our implant is even better now that they had some problems a while ago. I know it took my breath away reading about lawsuits and such. Hopefully our surgeons had our best interests at heart and knew about past problems. Hope you are feeling well!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.