Zithromax for a chest infection

Posted , 3 users are following.

How long before the pain goes away after the first dose of taking zithromax for bronchitis?

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I only took Zithro once, it was eons ago.  I remember it being quite powerful, so I would guess a couple of days?  More experienced readers can give you more.

Out of curiosity, why did you post this under asthma?

I never took Zithromax again on the advice of a doctor friend. She said allergic people often get a reaction to it on the second course, even years later.  So she said only take it when you really really need it because it is a good thing to have handy.

• Posted

I posted here bc i have asthma. Have been getting sick quite often since i have been diagnosed, which was just over three years ago. This is the most painful thing i have gone through since being diagnosed. About 20 years ago i went through something more painful with pneumonia, had a pleural effusion and two lung taps. Really no fun. I guess i am pretty new to the whole asthma thing, and need guidance. Today, i took my last dose of the zithromax and still have the pain.
    • Posted

If I recall Zithro is a short course (like 5 days) but it still takes 1-2 weeks to work like any antibiotic.  Your doc/nurse should have told you this.  

I'm sorry about your pain since clearly you have other issues besides asthma.  Hard to figure out pain over the interweb but in my book if the pain is constant 24 hrs it's likely not asthma specifically (although you might also have asthma).  Asthma comes and goes stronger/weaker at different times of the day, often mornings sometimes night or afternoon if there is a lot of pollen (or direct exposure).  For me if I get bronchitis it can trigger asthma but it's not a definite 1-1 relationship.  You should keep taking all your long acting asthma meds as well until you next talk to doctor in my opinion. 

• Posted

A ple of days it also depends on what is causing the pain if the pain sirens are your fever runs higher go back to the doctoe5
    • Posted

Thank you! Just came from the dr, was sent for an xray and was prescribed some doxycycline.
    • Posted

Hope your xray was clear.  That's good!  Funny you are the third person I have heard going on doxy in as many weeks.  Fourth one has walking pneumonia and is on amoxycillin.

• Posted

Trying to reply to you or sure if u see it but I was also given a different antibiotic let me know how you feel
    • Posted

Sorry I've not replied sooner, I've been waiting to feel better and cone back with good news! Til this day I am getting chest pains, but to a lesser extent. Seems to be just once or twice a day they bother me, whether or not I have an attack. The GP sent a letter out to a pulmonologist last Wed so I will be getting some answers soon! All of the triggers I can control are controlled as best as possible. My symbicort has changed to 2 puffs three times a day. Still on monteleukast, and trying to stick to the the symbicort smart program vs using the Ventolin as much as possible. I am trying to enjoy the little things in life as much as possible and not dwell on something I am sure the doctors of 2017 will figure out!

• Posted

I just upped to Servent Diskus and 6 puffs of Qvar 40 (2x 3 times a day).

?Three days ago it started to open up and my peak flow scores are rising.  I blew 800 this morning and I have a noticeable "air rushing in feeling" when breathing.  800 is probably peak for me.  I haven't tried Serevent in over a decade but it seems like it was reformulated into a finer powder.  A touch jumpy and anxious but worth the minor inconvience, I'm sure I'll get used to it.  Plan to stay on Serevent for a bit until I'm completely off albuterol for a week then I'll discontinue and think about tapering the Qvar.

?I guess what I'm saying if you have ongoing problems don't be afraid to demand from your doc to switch, they will.  But never just stop.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.