Zolodex and Arimidex or Exemestane..

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been trying post breast cancer medicines. Tomoxafin was awful so I waited to Zolodex and Arimidex. For two weeks I was fine and then completely stressed and down for the last two weeks. I tried it for 2-3 months. I switched to Zolodex and Exemestane this month and the exact same thing had happened. I am wondering if the problem is with the Zolodex. I take the Exemestane daily so I have control of the dosage. Since Zolodex is injected, I am wondering if the release of the drug is off and that is why I have 2 good weeks and 2 very bad weeks.

Has anyone else experienced the same problems?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I was offered arimidex by my surgeon/oncologist after surgery for endometrial cancer last year.  I didn't have to do anything, really, as I was staged at 1A.  I took the arimidex for three weeks.  I was very careful, and took partial doses for a few days, until I was at full dosage.  It was hell.  My joints became sore and immobile. My whole body ached. I could barely shuffle 25 feet to the mail box.  I was unable to sleep, full of adrenaline.  I stopped after 3 weeks (I had started taking it in August).  It took until the end of December for the side effects to dissipate!

I had done lots of research before starting it.  The drug didn't bother some women.  Others had terrible side effects, worse than mine. a few quit the drug, saying that they'd take the risk of getting cancer again, but in the interim, they'd prefer to have some quality of life.   

• Posted

I was given tamoxifen, started in November 2015. Mine was dcis stage 0 cancer, had mastectomy, no chemo. Found this drug awful. Have been on it, off it, on it, then off again, hot flushes, night sweats, bad back, aching legs and feet, mood swings, tearful, no quality of life. Decided not to take it anymore, taking my chances. Would rather have quality of life. Check with your oncologist. Everyone's choice is individual and shouldn't sway you either way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.