ZOLOFT 100mg HAS RUINED MY LIFE FOR 1.5 Years! WILL THIS EVER END?

Posted , 5 users are following.

My name is Mykaela. I am 22 years old and I struggled with depression.

I was first commenced on Fluoxetine 20mg when I was 17 years old. In December 2013 I went through a difficult time with family health and deaths, I spoke to my GP and they changed my anti-depressant to Zoloft 100mg. I took Zoloft from the start of December 2013 - until the end of July 2014 when I ceased the anti-depressant cold turkey due to weight gain. (Yes I know I should have probably tappered my doseage down but either way everyone seems to get side effects and at the time I was so upset and hurt by the weight I had gained). It was during this time that I gained 15kgs and experienced terrible symptoms. I could not fit in any of my clothes, I went from a size 6 all my life and being skinny to a size 10 in a matter of months! I am only 153cm tall, so 15kg was extremly noticeable. I was so upset, embarrassed to go out and see or meet new people. I looked like I was pregnant. My abdomen was so big, bloated, stretch marks, as well as my thighs and my breasts.

I spoke to my GP at this time and they assured me it could not possibly be related to the anti-depressant Zoloft 100mg. The GP went down the cancer route and I had multiple blood tests, urine tests, an ultrasound and CT CAP. From all this the only thing I had was a fatty liver (due to the increased weight in such a small time). 

The day after I ceased Zoloft 100mg I went back on to Fluoxetine 20mg.

The symtoms I experienced included: 

Increased sweating (I couldnt walk a flight of stairs without getting sweaty especially around my face, head, neck and chest. I have never been a sweaty person before).

Cold sweats at night shivering but the sheets are soaked.

Abdominal pain.

Constipation.

Significant weight gain especially abdominal area.

Nausea.

Vomiting.

Fatigue, yet I cant sleep.

Hot flushes - I thought I was going through early menopause and told my GP this.

Flu like symptoms, for around 6 or more months last year I would be sick with a cough, temperatures, muscle aches, run down. (I asked my GP to chest my immune system as I was going to the GP every month with the flu. My Immune system was fine, just the usual a little higher WBC count as I was sick)

Light headed.

Tight chest (I sometimes would get this, I remember one time last year in particular having a coffee with mum and I felt like I could not breathe, my heart was racing, my chest was tight, I could hardly speak).

Bilirubin increase (I had a fatty liver).

Stretch marks.

Dizziness.

Rashes (and also I had the dermatitis on my head a few times where it weaped).

Shaking (a few times my leg for example would shake uncontrollably that I would have to pull over the car for 10 minutes because it was like I had no control of it).

Restless.

Impaired concentration (I cant concentrate and feel like my head is foggy. My memory is bad and I am doing silly thing, like the other day I was transfering my Cards from my purse and went to put them into my wallet but instead I threw my bank card and ID in the bin without even realising or thinking and then when I realised they were not in the wallet I could not even remember throuwing them in the bin).

Emotions are all over the place.

Some times I feel like I am almost unreal, like I am not really there sort of like I am not apart of my body. A drunk sensation.

Irritable.

Boils on my skin.

Some times I feel like my brains rattling around in my head.

My eyes I find it hard to focus on anything without my eyes flickering all over the place and it makes me feel like I am drunk.

I was eating 2 diet shakes and one meal a day for over 6 weeks and lost no weight at all. I also tried just generally eating extremely healthy 3 meals a day.  I am generally a healthy person regarding eating with the ocassional bad food like everyone else. I walk 5km almost every day! Yet I have not lost any weight.

My GP referred my to an endocrinologist two months ago who thought I may have Cushings Disease and again I had multiple blood tests, urine tests, a CTABDO. The only thing that was found was a slightly elevated cortisol level. I then had my cortisol retested and still found it to be slightly high but not high enough to be Cushings Disease. I was also referred to a Gastroentrologist and he diagnosed me last week with IBS.  As soon as I mentioned Zoloft he said thats it thats why you gained all that weight.  After going home and thinking about everything I came up with many questions for them and emailed them but have not heard back yet.

I have decided as of 3 days ago to cease my Fluotixine 20mg cold turkey because I am so angry that the Zoloft 100mg has ruined my life, made me extremely unwell, over weight and feeling depressed, so what is the difference really. I dont want to touch another antidepressant ever again. Yes they both helped with my depression but gaining all this weight and being so sick made me more depressed than ever. I am hoping that by taking no anti-depressants if this is the reason for my sickness that it will eventually come to an end and I will go back to myself? 

I want to hear from people on a relatively high doseage of Zoloft like I was on (100mg) about their side effects?

How long they experienced side effects from once withdrawing from Zoloft, particularly if they stopped cold turkey before the side effects went away? 

It has been 10 months since I ceased Zoloft 100mg and I am sick of feeling horrible. It has ruined the last 1.5 years for me! Surely my body would have recovered by now?

Will I lose weight and will my metabolism go back to normal?

By taking no anti-depressants should I stop experiencing all these symptoms quicker?

I am at the point where I feel like I can not keep putting up with this! I want this to end and I want to be myself once again! I really do appreciate everyones experince and taking the time to answer my discussion. Thank you.

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi love all i can suggest is try some kalms they help you with your anxiety there herbal you can buy these from asda or a chemist and maybe see a hypnosis for anxiety and depression heard there really good hope you feel better soon x
  • Posted

Hello! Im in the U.S.. Texas. I was put on Sertraline (Zoloft ) back in June-Aug of 2014 for depression an anxiety fr a Tramadol addiction. Everything was fine until 2 mnths in on 50 mg. I started feeling bad. Flu like symptoms. Tons of diaherra an extreme wt loss. So had bloodwork done an it showed my liver enzymes were in the low 50's the AST an ALT. They were normal before I started it. So told to stop in 2 wks. Brain zaps,headaches. Then I started lowering Klonapine I was on also (for anxiety ) thruAug to Dec. Very slow taper. But my depression got bad in Nov an Dec. Didn't care about anything. So my Ob/Gyn started me on Lexapro at 10mg. It really didn't do anything mentally like the Zoloft had. Lexapro made me gain 15 lbs in 3 mnths an sleepy all time. I really think it should had been bumped to 20mg but I stopped it in March an asked to be put back on Zoloft cause it helped me so much an maybe it wouldn't do what it did before. Started on 25mg for a mnth then bumped myself to 50 for 8 days. Well two wks after starting it I started getting a dull pain in gallbladder area. It was off an on. It got worse an worse so I thought it was doin it again what it had done about a yr ago. So weaned down in a wk. Well pain got worse an other pains started on left upper side also. I thought it was my gallbladder. Had ultrasound an bloodwork. All ok. Had Papida scan (gallbladder function test) it was normal. So now Iv been off of Sertraline for 2wks an still hurting. Scope down throat to check for ulcers is next. Didn't have this until I started Sertraline again! What the heck! Now depression an anxiety is starting to come back. Im probably starting Lexapro again but going to 20mg. But don't want to be fat either! Everyone I know on Lexapro is fat!

FRUSTRATING!

• Posted

You should look on the web for interactions between the different meds you are on. Some of these interactions are really nasty and can cause seratonin syndrome.  I write this as I took remeron and zoloft together and they did not play well together. I started having pains in my liver and a bit in my gallbladder. Stomach was f'ed up as well. I stopped taking the zoloft and much of that subsided.  Different for everyone but keep in mind that the gut produces most of our seratonin ad so it makes sense to me that the got is gonna respond to anti-D's. Good Luck

• Posted

Hi Mykaela,

I know you posted this 6 years ago so it's probably a long shot that you're still using this account, but I am going through this exact same situation and symptoms right now and am awaiting an MRI to rule out Cushing's. My endo said she thinks it's possible that the dosage of Zoloft at 100mg was too high for my body and is what caused the weight gain, exhaustion, stretch marks, pain, and other symptoms you've listed above.

If by some chance you still use this account, could you tell me what ended up happening and how things went? I am getting very scared and starting to worry there won't be an end to this mental and physical pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.