Zoloft, Acid Reflux and tight throat (choking on food) ?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

I've been on Amitriptyline for quite a few years now, 150mg. I switched for another AD in February because it seemed to not work anymore (I was very anxious) and I suffered like hell from indigestion, nausea, night sweats... And they all went away when my GP put me back on Amitriptyline, 75mg, mid-March.

My severe anxiety also crept its way back.

By mid-April, I started to belch a little more than usual and several day later I was suffering from indigestion again. My GP put me on Zoloft in addition to Amitriptyline.

100mg for the first week: hell. Just literally hell. Acid reflux as soon as 2mn after my first pill. It seems to be better when taken with food.

150mg for the second week: Indigestion got better to the point that it doesn't make much sense anymore (symptoms keep on switching). I still belch, although a bit less I think...

Buuut when I started 150mg, something else appeared: a big painful lump in my throat. Food stuck on it. I had a hard time swallowing past it. The lump did get worse when I was more anxious about it.

It eventually went away and now I'm left with a very tight throat. I choke on bread or pasta. It gets stuck in the bottom of my throat and behind my chest. I feel my oesophagus cramping, and even my stomach.

I am terribly, horribly frightened. I don't know if it's a common issue with the drug, or my anxiety (which is still at its worst) or an escalation of my indigestion/belching, i.e. oesophagus cancer. No amount of anxiolytic calms me down. Nothing works. I'm dead sure I'm going to die (pun intended).

Is reflux or choking on food something from Zoloft or should I write my will?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Zoloft isn't what's making you feel like that, I don't know exactly how you feel

but it's not making you choke or gag, you say you have Cancer, I'm really sorry to hear that, let God bless you and no matter what do not have negative thoughts, for it's a proven fact that makes it worse, what kind of meds are helping, or not helping mabey I could tell you more, other than meds, I'm praying for you, and no matter what, try to think positive, I have the same problem sometimes.

• Posted

Nooo I misphrased what I said! I didn't mean I have cancer, I meant that I didn't know if this tight throat was due to anxiety, the drug OR an escalation of my indigestion/belching issues... And by escalation I mean that it would be more than indigestion, it would be cancer.

• Posted

Marynou, do you take other than Zoloft for any reasons, if you do ,can you name the meds your doctor has you taking, if so, depending on what your taking could be the cause of your choking on food and just feeling off, you should majorly do some research on the meds your on mixed with Zoloft.
  • Posted

Dysphagia / oesophagitis are in the side effect list of Zoloft after all neutral
    • Posted

And please, don't listen to everything you hear about Zoloft, our own will power can actually help, depending on how serious it is, I'm really sorry to hear about your problems with Zoloft, it does have side affects, a lot of those affects go away after awhile, please let me know how you are doing okay?

• Posted

I'm taking Amitriptyline 75mg + Zoloft 150mg. I've looked online whether they had any impact on each other but I haven't found anything conclusive.

I didn't know anything about Zoloft before taking it. I didn't read the manual either because that's how I get sides effects, you know, by making them up. My tight throat and choking on food appeared a week after I started Zoloft and only then did I look for side effects.

I even think the choking thing is getting worse. I am truly terrified.

• Posted

By the way Marynou, you are taking the wrong meds together, very dangerous, those two go against each other, but the side affects that your getting still, are different from my research on the two meds mixed, you should really get to a hospital, and show them what's going on, hope this helps you, cause you said you couldn't find anything, so I did some research for you, hang in there Marynou.

• Posted

I'm really sorry that you have to feel like that, you know what I stopped doing, is looking for for side affects for one reason, and that's because it seems like every time I find something new, I automatically think it into existence it seems like. Marynou it doesn't sound anything like Zoloft, but remember, your taking a mind altering drug like I do, so be careful concentrating on negative objectives, believe me I was going through the same problem, and still I have to concentrate more on remembering I'm taking a mind altering med, it can make things worse if you think about it to much, I sure hope we can help each other, and I'm sorry for what you're going through. Please keep me updated on how your doing. God bless.

• Posted

Thank you!

Actually dysphagia or oesophagitis are listed as side-effects for Zoloft, it's written on Wikipedia or other websites. They would explain my tight throat.

Indigestion is also listed which would explain the acid reflux.

But I can't be sure of anything, except that I feel like I'm dying of oesophageal cancer...

• Posted

I'm glad to hear that you are actually seeing this effects list, it helps but just remember that we can believe ourselves into more of the side affects that your reading, and makes people notice everything they were reading, is happening to themselves, I was kinda the same way, still have to work on that one problem, noticing everything on the list, and can't get it out of my head sometimes. Still, I'm glad for you, you sound like things might start getting better for you. Feel well Marynou. God bless you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.