Zoloft advice

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey I have been taking 50mg of zoloft for social anxiety. Two weeks was building into my system then for the next two weeks I noticed my anxiety begin to fade and sometimes become non-existent. But now I have noticed my anxiety is slowly coming back to me. 

I am awfully worried and was wondering if this is a phase, so i was wondering if you're occanisnly going to get anxious on the drug? Or do you have to up the dose? 

I would appreciate the advice as this is very worrying. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

From what I gather 50mg is pretty well an introductory dose - I'm not a doc so just an opinion. I started on 4 weeks of 50, 2 weeks on 75 and am now on my 2nd day on 100mgs. I'm going to give it 4 weeks - I really don't want to up the dosage . Yes I would see your doc and he probably will up the dosage GENTLY as any increase in dosage usually takes a couple of weeks to settle down. Good luck! 
  • Posted

Wow same here except im on 25mg a day and its been 4 weeks 2 weeks ok and then the next feeling off with higher anxiety im taking it for depression and anxiety, im not sure if its from the discussion i had with my boyfriend last night that just is dragging into this morning. Trying to avoid stress
  • Posted

Hi Lewis

​I'm on Sertralne (zoloft) also Duke is right 50mg is a starting dose, but it soon loses it's efficacy after you've reached the plateau phase. I was on 50mg for about 2 months when I noticed the anxiety returning, so I upped the dose to 100mg same thing happened 2 months later. I'm now on 150mg daily and have been for about 6 months now and I'm completely fine. I often get asked "you don't seem like you need anti depressants " the answer.... Because they're working is my usual answer lol. In short I would speak with your Dr they will most likely double your dose. Don't worry I haven't noticed any adverse side effects. It's all about finding that "right dose" it is also possible that Sertraline is not the right SSRI. There are plenty of others such as Citalopram, Fluoxetine (Prozac) they all have the same mode of action, but with subtle differences in how they work. First course of action is too call your Dr. Hope this helps a bit and feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.

• Posted

Thanks Craig, I appreciate the advice, I've been on 100mg for a week now. Obviously i'm not going to notice progress yet, but fingers cross! I'd like to ask a question, as you're someone that has found their correct dose, how effective has zoloft been for you anxiety? I know it all affects everyone differently, but i'd like to know there maybe some possibility that zoloft will help my anxiety to a extent where i'm functional, and again thank you smile
    • Posted

most definately it can help. I went through sheer hell a few years back, self harming the works. It got to the point that I thought i had lost my mind but then I was prescribed Venlafaxine (effexor) I was on that for about 6 years. However like zoloft (and any other drug for that matter) it eventualy loses efficacy because your body grows acustomed to it. It took a long while lots of Trial and error. It actually got to the point that I had reserched so much that I would write my own scripts then the Dr would sign off them. I now actually take 2 classes of anti d's 150 mg sertraline in the am which is an SSRI and Mirtazipine 15mg at night. It took a loooooooooong time for me to find this combo that worked for me. To get back to your original question yes it's highly likely that zoloft will help you for a few years IF it's the right drug for your system. All psychatric medicine is best guess really as what works for one won't even touch another person. It is possible if not liikely that sertaline will work for you, you just have to basically experiment (trial and error) but you on the right track Sertaline is a very stable and well documented drug and it's worked for me at the 150mg level I started on 50 mgs then doubled it then added 50% more in a short amount of time as I could feel the effects wearing off. So in short lol. yes it can help, however  you need to be on a particular dosage for at least 2 weeks to notice full effects. I think your heading in the right direction. Iv'e found it to be extremly effective especially since i added in 15mg of mirtazipine in the pm, but that's again was just trial and error. So stick with the plan 100mg might be the magic number for you, but it will definately enable you to get your life and your mind back to normal. Or you might find that you may need to increase it further or try adding a different class of anti d (which is what i did) to the mix. Trial and error my friend. best thing I can tell you at this point. Let me know how your getting on or have any more questions i'm happy to help if i can.
  • Posted

Hi Lewis

I was on mirtazapine for 6 years it stopped working in Decemeber thats when my anxiety started.

I was put on sertraline or zoloft as you call it started at 50mg 4 weeks later Im up at 150mg they say they may put it up again.

I do not see the point it is only effective for a few weeks then it wears off.

I am now seeing a psych who is hopefully going to change my meds again

I personally dont like sertraline but everyone reacts differently

Stay Strongsurprised

• Posted

Believe it or not i have found that 150mg of Sertaline in the morning and 15mg of Mirtazipine in the evening, which proves your point Lynne that everyone reacts differently smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.