Zoloft and Nexium (esomeprazole)

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, two weeks ago I started taking Zoloft 50mg for my OCD, probably going to up the dosage next week. I have also been taking Nexium (esomeprazole) every other day for acid reflux. 

If I check the drug interaction it shows nothing, but I have come across this article: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4297217/

It says that esomeprazole can increase serum concentration of sertraline. According to the article, the increase is about 38%, which seems quite a lot for me. In the end it says that none of the PPI significantly increased serum levels of sertraline, but maybe they just focused more on citalopram and escitalopram.

Does anyone have more info about this? If this is the truth, my levels of sertraline would not be very stable, as I am taking PPI every other day. Would I be better off switching to pantoprazole, which does not affect levels of sertraline? Any info would be most welcome. When I was prescribed Zoloft, I mentioned that I am taking Nexium to my therapist.

Thank you.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I take nexium also, Zoloft 50mg. For 29 days and just uped to 100mg by GP. My GP said I will be fine taking the nexium with my pill. Been taking the nexium everyday with the Zoloft.

If ya find anything out that might be a bit of a concern, please post. Thanks.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply, will do. I am also on 100 mg sertraline now. I'm still hoping someone will provide more info about it or interpret results. If it is true I am particularity interested in what happens if you change esomeprazole dosage or start taking it every other day.

• Posted

So I have contacted the article author, who kindly explained to me that the effect of esomeprazole on sertraline plasma levels is really too little to be clinically significant or to notice any effect from its interaction. I am glad, because I like esomeprazole. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.