Zopiclone

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've been on Zopiclone 7.5mg for  4 years, I started with just a half and went to a whole within a year, I stayed that way but slowly they stopped being effective.  I will not go to more than that, I know it would be dangerous.  I first went cold turkey, I was so shaken and chatty, dizzy by husband thought I was drunk.  I then used only a half every other night for a week, then nothing.  I am not sleeping at all, maybe an hour.  I'm a mess during the day, I shake all the time, drop things, stopped exercise class because I don't think I could do it.   I read a lot of people's entry's and know depression could engulf me.  My daughter was killed by a distracted driver 2 years ago April, so I get up every morning and do my makeup, get dressed,clean house etc.  if I going to go crazy I. Want to do it in a clean house.   I think keeping a routine keeps me grounded.   How long will this last?  I need sleep so bad by morning I'm in tears.  My doctor told me this is not addictive.  Can I do this alone?  Do I need help?

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Patty,

This is my 3rd week since I went cold turkey and I feel very good now. The first 4 nights I didn't sleep almost at all and then just a few hours. I take Unisom sometimes which is a over the counter sleep aid. I also went on a power juice diet which gives me lots of energy. When you go to bed don't think that you will not sleep because you didn't take a pill. Just think that you will fall asleep eventually. Try and read a good book and listen to some relax spa music. You can do it.

• Posted

Thanks, it's good to know someone is out there.  I feel so isolated, making sure everyone in my life is taken of.  I'm not sure I mentionedim 67 and this stuff shouldn't be happening to grandma.
    • Posted

hi cris when i go to bed i tried not to think i dont need one about 3am i cant fool myself i went 2 days without a tab and didnt sleep at all not even during the day
  • Posted

Hi Patty, i also have terrible insomnia over the last few years, drove myself crazy trying to find the "cause" of it. Turns out its one of the symptoms of peri menopause. I'm 46. Could this be a possibility for you? I was worried about addiction to zoplicone, but my gp said they are not addictive, but the effectiveness does wear off. In the end i decided to go on anti depressants and i have to say they have helped enormously. Feel able to cope better with not much sleep. Also, you have been through a terrible time losing your daughter. Have you had counselling? I hope things improve, this is a good forum for support. X
    • Posted

I did some counselling but it actually made me sadder.  I think I have it mostly under control.  When I don't think I can live without seeing Emily I have a 5 second video of her saying I love you.  It is probably self distructive and it makes me cry, but I can't give her up.  I find if I'm on a downhill spiral I take a walk around the neighbourhood, you just can't cry and walk where people can see you.  It's simple but really helps.   I have managed to keep my complete meltdowns to about once eevery  3 months or so.  Everything is harder when you aren't sleeping.  I went on a site for insomnia and they said to just think about your breathing, and don't think about sleep, it kind of helps.  I hope that some of this will get better as by body gets used to doing without Zopiclone.  Thank you for caring, I have really felt alone
    • Posted

i noticed if i take a slall dysopam say 2 mg it stops me worrying about not sleeping but im worried about getting stuck on dysopam
  • Posted

Lol! No it shouldnt, how about melatonin that may help, you have to get a prescription for that though. Whenyou are sleep deprived you will do anything! I even bought a yantra mat (google it) didnt work for me and i looked ridiculous 😂
    • Posted

tried melatonin they gave me horrible nightmares , I do take magnisium

thanks for thinking about mr

• Posted

I have been on them for many years and I have tried to give them up, no luck I need my sleep so I will keep with them, sorry I am not very helpful just honest .
    • Posted

I keep thinking if I give them up for a month or two them I can use them while on vacation.  I need to look forward to something.  Did call doctor to see what can be done, but not before renoneing past prespiotion.  I guess I'm hedging my bets
  • Posted

Hi patty,

I'm on day 16 of freedom and it feels good. I was addicted to this poison. It's interesting that others think zopiclone is not addictive. Perhaps I have an addictive personality. I think if they are used as prescribed short term they could be helpful in dealing with trauma. Sadly a few years ago I started to abuse them. I enjoyed the soporific effect. I began to buy online to add to my monthly prescription and I would use them to change my mood - a bad day at work, row with my husband, the cat having fleas etc.i had 'black-outs' - couldn't remember things, conversations, what I'd watched on TV etc so I realised they were affecting my memory function. Also I began to lose my motivation in life. I suspected it was the pills but I justified my continuing use as they were a prescribed medication for real symptoms. My G doctor prescribed 10+ years ago following a harrowing incident in my life and I kept asking for a repeat prescription. He did try to persuade me to stop but I wheedled my way round him. Last autumn the practice changed their policy (following the new evidence regarding the Z drugs. All patients on long term usage were put on a reduction plan. As I mentioned i was by then buying on line so that's what I continuedto do. I have detailed what happened 3 weeks ago in earlier posts so won't repeat here. In summary, i became addicted, iwas terrified of stopping taking these pills but more terrified of what will happen if I continued. I feel absolutely marvellous😃. I am so proud of myself! Yes, my sleep pattern is erratic but the feelgood factor is tremendous. I am regaining motivation and energy. I can't believe how good it feels. Please believe me it's worth a few sleepless nights to regain control. Go back to your exercise class - it will help by tiring you physically. And if you have a few tears you are releasing mental tension. You are an amazing person to cope with your daughter's sad untimely death. I wish you success

• Posted

Thank you for taking the time to help me.  One of the things. I worry about is short term memory loss.  I did not remember responding to anyone's on this site yesterday.  Last night me husband gave me a peeled orange after supper, like he does every night and 15 minutes later I ask when we are having our orange.  I really did not remember, I even got up and looked for the peel because I didn't believe him.  It is scary to loss that much control
  • Posted

Yes I agree I have bought a few things of eBay and the next day I think o dear but I know not to go on my computer after I have taken them ,I now take them at the last minute .
  • Posted

Hi patty, I've been on zopiclone for 18 years and they haven't helped me for many years now so I decided it's time to quit taking this poison. This is my 11th night now, I sleep a few hours a night, it's hard but I have to do this. I i now it will 

take a while to finally get some restful sleep but I'm not giving up. It's been so long since I've gone to bed without taking pills I can't wait to be free and sleep on my own again, to me it will be like being reborn. If I can do it anyone can. Good luck and hang in there cause you can do it.

• Posted

I'm looking forward to sleep, I hate being so foggy and dizzy.  Made appointment to see doctor this afternoon.  Anxious to see if she can help.  Of course she is the one that assured me that Zopiclone is not addictive.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.