zopiclone

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had a heardt transplant 10 yrs ago but have been on Zopiclone 7.5 x 2 per night, now I don't even sleep.  What else is out there?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

There is another short acting sleeping led called silenor (doxepin HCL) that comes in 3mg and 6mg pills that I find is helpful job getting to sleep. I also take Ativan which is a benzodiazepine so it is addictive, but as been very bebeficial to me for sleeping. I have also been on antidepressants that have drowsiness as a side effect and I'm even on hydroxyzine 50mg which is an antihistamine that causes drowsiness.

Talk with your doctor and see what they recommen. It's kind of trial and error to see what works for you. Good luck.

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your sleep problems. I know how rough it can make life when we are chronically lacking a good night's sleep. I am currently taking 2 per night as well. They do help, but my sleep issues are multitudinous in nature, and therefore I have to take an approach that is similar in nature to the problem. I have pain from cnacer, and the pain meds help with keeping me asleep through the night, as they do cause some drowsiness. I have some anxiety, and therefore I am prescrived Ativan, which also helps, and occasionally I will also take 50mg of Gravol (dimenhydrinate) as well. Every night is not identical, and what works one night may not the next, so I adjust. I know that all of this may be to much for some people, but It just barely gives me the sleep I need in a night. I also have something that is akin to a sleep disorder known as Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome or DSPS, and Non-24-Hour Sleep-Wake Disorder (Non-24), and to top it off I have relatively severe sleep apnea and need a CPAP machine hooked up pretty much all night long. I don't know if you have been tested for sleep apnea or not, but it is often a good place to start, and many sleep deprivation sufferers will find that once they are diagnosed with Sleep Apnea, and use CPAP machine to keep their airway opened during sleep, they start feeling much better, as they are getting more, and deeper, sleep. Not sure if any of this is at all helpful to you, but if not I hope you do find something that works. All the best to you. Peace out.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your reply,  I just spent a 2 week stint in the hospital, and was given 2 5mg of of zopiclone,  I had an extreme amout of anxiiety. the dr. recommended Valium or melatonim after I had taken 10mg of Zop.  Can you explain what a CPAC machine is as it sounds like something that would benefit me. Before zopiclone I used to use gravol as a sleep dependant but has no effect on me now.  Nothing is too much to handle at this point as of the heart that I recieved has it's very own genetic desease and I just need an all night sleep so I can continue with what's left with this this heart.

Thanks again Peace out to you!

• Posted

Yeah there is medications like silenor, melatonin, and Ativan and I personally have tried them all but they didn't work for me as well as other medications have (Zopiclone, Xanax, and temazepam) it's always extremely hard finding a medication that's right for you since there are barely any effective ones that aren't addictive. But even with the addictive ones such as benzodiazepines and Z-drugs its all about finding the right fit. You have to always exercise caution when testing out medications and be absolutely honest with your doctor as well. What you're experiencing right now is withdrawals which will eventually go away with time. If you have been taking them 10 years (which I believe your post implies) you probably have such a huge dependence on them it may take a while for everything to go back to normal but it will I promise you. But anyways if you're going for non addictive medications there's silenor, melatonin, and tranzadone. Other ones that worked for me very well are zolpidem, temazepam (although it gave me a terrible hangover that lasted all the next day since it has a 18 hour half life), and Xanax (but this one is very addictive and hard to get). Another option would be for your doctor to wean you off slowly from Zopiclone using Valium. This is a process very often used and works well and should lessen the side effects. All the best!!
  • Posted

I am somewhat astounded at what I feel is promoting the taking of such drugs.

You have become tolerant to the Zopiclone and this will also happen with any

drug.

Regarding the use of benzodiazepines is not a good idea . You will also again become tolerant.

Here in the UK they are taking patients off these drugs and are not prescribing them as much. Even if they are prescribed it is for 2 to 4 weeks as it states in the leaflet.

You have to be very careful what you do due to your heart condition.

Whatever you do. Dont stop taking your pills.

If you do decide and are able to come off them. You need to find another alternative to help you sleep.

I am guessing that you are ot from the UK as I know that in the USA . They even

advertise these types of drugs. I find this shocking. I am a member of a benzo forum and I have noticed that there are many members from the USA.

And yes I do know what lack of sleep does to you.

I am now drug free and sleep is coming back. I know that I wouldnt take another benzo or Z drug.

I also feel that people need to read about what harm these drugs are doing before taking them.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

• Posted

Hey Tootsie, 

Actually I'm in London, Canada, and apparentley I was told that Zopiclone was a Non- Benzo part of of the family.. However I have been on them for 11 years and cannot sleep without them and barelu sleep with them. I"m either dealing with after-effect of them kicking at 5 or 6 am for just an 1hr or 2 I need an alternative!!

Thanks for answering!

• Posted

Hi transplant. The next step is

a) taking morre of the zopiclone and getting more addicted

b) adding in another benzo and getting even more addicted   OR

c) go and discuss this with your doctor. The best outcome, if you have a good doctor, is to change to diazepam (probably about 15 mg at night) and gradually and slowly take less, under your doctor's supervision. So for a month you take 15 mg diazepam at night. For the next month you take 14 mg diazepam at night. It doesn't matter how long it takes as long as you get off these drugs. They block your body's natural ability to sleep and you just need more and more and more for them to work. You're on a slippery slope to being well and truly addicted. Nip it in the bud now. Good luck. Come back to me if your GP disagrees or has some weird plan of her/his own which sounds dodgy.All the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.